• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Kayak Fishing Thread

10thmountain

Default rank 5000+ posts
American Warhorse.
121   0
Reaction score
What is you favorite Kayak to paddle when fishing?

I have a Wilderness tandem that is built like a tank but works well on lakes and rivers. I also have a couple of ultra light 36lb Pelican NXT 100’s . They are more for recreation but I use them all the time on the lake or chattahoochee when fishing.

What are some of your rigs and set ups?

I’m IN. My girlfriend just bought me a pelican bounty 100 angler a few days ago for my birthday. I haven’t yet taken it out, hoping to get it wet today or tomorrow. Any tips or advice would be great.

The pelicans are great. Made in Canada. Light and durable. I go light as possible on gear when kayak fishing. 1-2 poles. Small tackle box, water, PFD, bingo.

I only have, and have only ever had the one kayak I have now. I bought it last fall to retrieve ducks/hunt out of, and used it for the first fishing trip last weekend. It's a Old Town Topwater 106. I have no comparison between it and any other kayak, but I don't have a problem paddling or keeping it straight. It did fine in the river, even through the rapids where I watched 3 other folks turn over/fall out of their kayaks. It's a little slow I guess, but I rarely get in a big hurry so it's ok with me. 20190122_171936.jpg 20190122_171949.jpg Used it to trout fish the hooch from Buford dam down to Settles bridge. Had a blast and am ready to go back! I'm sure I have alot to learn about kayaking in general, but you can bet I'll be back on the hooch trout fishing with it. It's painted camo, and I got a few funny looks from guys in their super duper fishing rigs, but I don't think the fish cared, as I caught plenty.
If anyone has time and inclination to fish that stretch of river, give me a shout!

I only have, and have only ever had the one kayak I have now. I bought it last fall to retrieve ducks/hunt out of, and used it for the first fishing trip last weekend. It's a Old Town Topwater 106. I have no comparison between it and any other kayak, but I don't have a problem paddling or keeping it straight. It did fine in the river, even through the rapids where I watched 3 other folks turn over/fall out of their kayaks. It's a little slow I guess, but I rarely get in a big hurry so it's ok with me. View attachment 2139066 View attachment 2139068 Used it to trout fish the hooch from Buford dam down to Settles bridge. Had a blast and am ready to go back! I'm sure I have alot to learn about kayaking in general, but you can bet I'll be back on the hooch trout fishing with it. It's painted camo, and I got a few funny looks from guys in their super duper fishing rigs, but I don't think the fish cared, as I caught plenty.
If anyone has time and inclination to fish that stretch of river, give me a shout!

Great post. I dont think the fish know I am in a "less expensive " canoe either...or that my fav fishing pole is a $5 Goodwill pole...LOL...

Lol. "Less expensive" is my middle name. I actually got the kayak at academy sports, and they took 150 off because it had a scratch. I didn't bother to tell them I was going home to hose it with krylon for duck season in Mississippi.

Back
Top Bottom