• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Kids want to start knife throwing

Laminated 2x4 chunks to expose the end grain is essentially the same thing as a big pine round, just takes more work to get to the same place.

Frank75 Frank75 if you want me to look up the address of that tree service lot let me know, I drive by it all the time. They have a big banner on the fence facing the street reading "free firewood".
I'm in Rome north Ga but I do appreciate the offer. I'll try to pick up something more local

Pine and thick enough to stand on edge makes a nice bullseye for competition

I had a 30 inch diameter 1 foot thick slab on the property that I use to throw knives and axes at - It’s mostly rotted away now but supplied years of entertainment

DAD0E771-0936-49F6-BC51-6768CAD707F2.jpeg

Quite a while back my granddaughter took this up for about a week. If memory serves I cut a 2x4 into 3” pieces and glued them together so that the end grain composed the face of the target. May have been several 2x4’s .
95F3FC0C-9EC4-494E-B388-F7598DF11A42.jpeg

I did this, for my nephew, and it was successful but --oh, my, God-- it was so time consuming! I don't think I would do that again and I have not done so for myself.

I throw my knives at a framework of 2 x 4 boards that looks like an easel or a sign board you might set up on the sidewalk in front of a store or restaurant.

The surface I throw at is the top layer of about 7-10 layers of corrugated cardboard that I cut from boxes I find behind a local furniture store.
Behind all that cardboard is a sheet of plywood but my knife tip almost never reaches the plywood; it stops in the cardboard.

Cardboard is forgiving if your knife hits at a bad angle, and it won't snap the tip of your blade off. The cardboard also can show you visible marks from your non-sticking knife impact, showing you why your blade didn't stick (which direction the blade was pointed in.)

I did snap off the tip (1" section) of a nice Fixed blade hunting knife that I first used on this knife target made of dozens of end pieces from several 2x4's.
After about the third or fourth bad hit the blade broke!

6C8FD729-9228-4866-83BA-0A7A51076970.jpeg
The only edged weapons and I'll throw at a round of hardwood is an axe or a hatchet (because I don't think I'll have to worry about breaking the blade).
I've thrown a couple of my Glock FM81 knives at hardwood logs before. Though I didn't break the blades, when I didn't get a good point-first strike they wobbled in such a way that made me nervous.

View attachment 2753346

View attachment 2753348

I did this, for my nephew, and it was successful but --oh, my, God-- it was so time consuming! I don't think I would do that again and I have not done so for myself.

I throw my knives at a framework of 2 x 4 boards that looks like an easel or a sign board you might set up on the sidewalk in front of a store or restaurant.

The surface I throw at is the top layer of about 7-10 layers of corrugated cardboard that I cut from boxes I find behind a local furniture store.
Behind all that cardboard is a sheet of plywood but my knife tip almost never reaches the plywood; it stops in the cardboard.

Cardboard is forgiving if your knife hits at a bad angle, and it won't snap the tip of your blade off. The cardboard also can show you visible marks from your non-sticking knife impact, showing you why your blade didn't stick (which direction the blade was pointed in.)

I did snap off the tip (1" section) of a nice Fixed blade hunting knife that I first used on this knife target made of dozens of end pieces from several 2x4's.
After about the third or fourth bad hit the blade broke!
Thanks for the idea I have access to cardboard when I order plastic at work the sheets a sandwiched between two pieces 32"x48" this may be the way I go with

Back
Top Bottom