• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Kitchen knife set that isn’t junk?

J.A. Henckels make some good knives. They also make some not so great knives. I have the remnants of a set of Henckels Ever Edge knives made in Japan and they are pretty much crap. If you stick to their Solingen made knives you will have some well crafted cutlery. Maybe not quite as good as Wusthof but a close second.

J.A. Henckels does have cheap/junk knives. Their low end knives have a single man in the symbol, look for the 2-man symbol to get the better knives.

Check out CutleryandMore, they have really good deals.
Here's $300 block set on sale for $200 and you can add the steak knives:
https://www.cutleryandmore.com/wusthof-classic/knife-block-set-p139326?nosto=latest-price-drops

Those with block sets usually find there are 2 or 3 knives that get used 99% of the time. Me included.
I recommend getting a high quality 2 or 3 knife set like this one:
https://www.cutleryandmore.com/shun-kanso/knife-set-p138277

Everyday use I bought these in 1995, the "two man logo" Henckels. Four Star series if memory serves. Use a rod to raise the edge before you replace them in the block and only have to sharpen them every two years or more depending. For razor sharpness I have many old estate sale high carbon steel knives. You can shave with any of these....
20201208_114537.jpg
20201208_114555.jpg

Everyday use I bought these in 1995, the "two man logo" Henckels. Four Star series if memory serves. Use a rod to raise the edge before you replace them in the block and only have to sharpen them every two years or more depending. For razor sharpness I have many old estate sale high carbon steel knives. You can shave with any of these....
View attachment 2960256 View attachment 2960258

I too have a Henckel four star set.
(I received them as a present from my sister who knew I liked to cook in 1979).

I still have them today!
Still as sharp as ever. No reason they won't last several lifetimes...

I too have a Henckel four star set.
(I received them as a present from my sister who knew I liked to cook in 1979).

I still have them today!
Still as sharp as ever. No reason they won't last several lifetimes...
True. My girlfriend has a set of Cutco knives that I find to be nearly useless. Her daughter wanted a set of knives and I butted in last Christmas and bought her a set of Four Star Henckels BEFORE her mom bought her a set of Cutco knives. I gave her one of my best high carbon steel vintage Sabatier chef's knives and a honing rod and showed her how to use it.

View attachment 2960256 View attachment 2960258

Nice !

I always look for good steel at yard sales and estate sales. You would be surprised what you get for $1

Good morning ODT knife snobs

looking for a recommendation on a kitchen knife block set that is good quality, sharp knives that hold edges but don’t break the bank.

these are for a gift, trying to stay <$250 budget

I’ve received cuisinart and calphalon etc knife blocks that are in the sub $100 range as gifts and it doesn’t take long before they’re squishing tomatoes rather than slicing them

thanks dudes
Low end price, but our Oster set has not given us any trouble. Comes razor sharp has held up well.

Back
Top Bottom