Knife Help

68chrisshark

Default rank <1000 posts Supporter
Frontiersman
75   0
Reaction score
I'm new to quality knives.....looking for a EDC assisted deploy that is good quality but won't break the bank. Been looking at Benchmade. I need something that holds a good edge for ED use.

S30V? D2? I am confused.

Suggestions? Brands? Model? Best Steel type?

S30v is a stainless powdered steel... D2 is not stainless and is a "tool steel"
I am biased but I would say, if you are gonna have one main edc, stick with a stainless steel and get a frame lock rather than axis type lock... Depending on size needs, the zero tolerance 0566 is hard to beat in that category and price range

I should add that if the 0566 is out of your price range then the kershaw thermite is a steal and is also a rick hinderer design with a respectable stainless. (The spyderco tenacious is a steal too and is darn near as strong of a lockup as the thermite but not assisted)
If you want a non-China knife then get the kershaw knockout... Fine knife for under $60 made right here in the USA. (14C28N is a good steel with a good balance of toughness and edge holding with good stain resistance... The knockout is available in Elmax for a bit more but puts you up in the price range of the ZT Elmax models)

Last edited:
S30v is a stainless powdered steel... D2 is not stainless and is a "tool steel"
I am biased but I would say, if you are gonna have one main edc, stick with a stainless steel and get a frame lock rather than axis type lock... Depending on size needs, the zero tolerance 0566 is hard to beat in that category and price range

Not that hard there is the 0560 it's big brother... LOL

Back
Top Bottom