Knife selection help needed...

alnen

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
231   0
Reaction score
I've come to seek the counsel of those versed in steel.

I am in need of a knife. My requirements are: minimum 5" blade/max 5 1/2" blade, straight edge, possible to retain via manual retention (ie loop that snaps around part of handle or something similar), full tang, fixed blade, under $100 (preferably around $70).

I don't know if it's possible, but I'd like a somewhat short handle to grab onto. Thanks!

Buck 119 may work for you.
619_001.jpg

I've had one forever it seems. A plus for me is it's made in the U.S.A.

No doubt that's a good knife, it's a little flashier and longer than what I'm looking for.

Is it possible for a custom sheath maker to make a sheath "level 2 retention" style, ie something like a safariland concept?

What is the primary use? Skinning? Bushcraft? Concealed carry? Etc?
That can make a pretty big difference in style, steel choice, blade shape, etc.

If pretty general in purpose but "hard use" then:
http://www.smkw.com/webapp/eCommerce/products/ESEE+Knives/ESEE®+4+-+Gunsmoke/ESEE4PTGB.html
A bit smaller than your range but a super tough knife with a kydex sheath at a good price

OR
A Becker BK15: http://www.knifeworks.com/ka-barshortbeckertrailingpoint.aspx
now discontinued and can be had for under $50... I have several and they are tough as nails. (Would also include the BK16 or 17 as great knives but a bit higher price and smaller than your size range)

OR For stainless options:
A SOG NW Ranger, or TOPS Pasayten lite

If intended as dedicated concealed carry then my suggestions would change completely

Last edited:
You want some help ..1st step ,step away form steal mart .2nd step, study steal ..3rd step ,check out some knife dealers or stores after you have learned your metals .. it would probably be best to check out flea bay for older knives..

Back
Top Bottom