• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Kydex sheath for EM Gear ESEE 3

blackplague14

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
48   0
Reaction score
I picked up one of the EM Gear exclusive ESEE 3 at BLADE show. They offered it with no sheath, so a friend also bought one and had me make a sheath. Knife Kits offers a Kydex color called FDE Spring that ended up matching almost perfectly.

I also made an OD/Black for me and have a reverse color of Black/FDE Spring is pressed, but not finished.

The thickness of the Kydex is .060. This gives it the "click" retention associated with Kydex, but the extra layer of kydex over the blade area provides for a stronger, more rigid sheath, and a thicker area for the eyelets to mount the Tek Lok.

Like most of my sheaths, this one has a drain hole at the tip of the blade and a thumb push to assist in drawing the knife from the sheath.

I believe Luke will be doing a video review of this sheath. I will post a link to the video if/when he post it.

I pre-heat my oven to help prevent temperature spikes and have it set where it maxes out at about 325 degrees. I use the medium definition foam from Knife Kits and a homemade press. Get the kydex to the 315-325 degree area, transfer it quickly to the press and press the hell out of it. I use furniture clamps and c clamps and crank it down as hard as I can by hand.

.060 gives a nice "clicky" retention, but it is too thin, in my experience, for a large knife. I've ripped eyelets thru it when snagging the sheath on something while I was climbing up and down at work. .080 makes for a nice, rugged sheath, but the retention is a little bit spongy, which is why I use doubled up .060. One layer at the retention area towards the back of the blade/handle and two layers for the main body of the sheath.

Take your time on the shape and edges. This attention to detail is what makes the difference between "homemade" and "handmade". I use a belt sander, then a buffing wheel with two different wheels to work to a smooth gloss finish, then I rough it up with a Scotch Brite pad to give a uniform edge.

Youtube is your friend. Look up videos by PhillyEDC. He is long winded and sometimes boring, but you will learn a lot.

If you are ever in the Woodstock area on a weekend, PM me to see if we can meet up at my house. I would be glad to help you out on your first sheath.

Jon

I sent the sheath off for the review.

I also finished up the reverse color sheath for the ESEE 3, one for the Laser Strike, and one for the Candiru. The Candiru will have a ball chain for a neck knife. Small Tek Lok on the 3, and a large Tek Lok on the LS.

Wow, that is a really sweet looking sheath. I picked up the same knife with one of the EM Gear sheaths they were selling (separately) but I like yours a lot better.

ETA: Hey I just saw who you were. I do not have any of your knives but I have seen them at Tru-Prep in Marietta and they are pretty awesome no-nonsense blades. I'm very impressed.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom