• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Labradar?

ponyboy96

Default rank <1500 posts
ODT Junkie!
9   0
Reaction score
Anyone on here running a labradar? Just curious what your thoughts are.

I need to chrono some rounds from my AR for distance. I tried a magnetospeed, but it didn’t work with my rifle. Before I spend a ton of cash on a labradar, I wanted to get some thoughts.

Which magnetospeed? I have a v3 and have yet to have an issue with any rifle.

The labradars have cool tech, but take a lot longer to set up and have some build quality issues. From talking to A LOT of people that have had both, very few choose the labradar over the v3.

With ballistic calculators being as good as they are, and more and more advancements being made (4dof), no real need for extended velocity ranges on any AR. Get a good mv and you are good to go.

Buy a CED M2 or a cheap CEI-3800 like I have and be done with it. It's been accurate enough for reloaders and benchrest guys for years. Magneto speeds are good for volume work, but I still don't like to zero with them because it will change barrel harmonics and if you want to chrono multiple rifles in a day like I usually like to do its a PITA. Labradars are good, but they are finicky. Buy your ammo by the case(s) and once you have chrono data for your particular lot# of ammo across three temp ranges for your calculator you are more than good. If the labradar didn't have to be aimed, and wasn't so finicky it would be worth it..but it is, and in my opinion unless you are doing ELR where you need to chrono every single round fired....its not.

I couldn’t get the magneto speed to work on my rifle. I didn’t have enough barrel to mount it close enough. When I got it mounted on the barrel, boom, it was blown off the rifle. Not good. I said nope.

I may just get the standard cheap chrono.

Guess I’m old school......I still use my 15-20 year old Oehler 35P. Good thing is that it will do handguns, as well. Bad thing is it’s a bit of equipment to set up. I have my screens permanently mounted to a 2x4 reinforced with a metal pole. Makes setup easy, but cumbersome to transport.

Back
Top Bottom