• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Lane Scorpion 458

HydroAuto

Default rank <1250 posts
ODT Junkie!
17   0
Reaction score
Well, over 8 months ago I purchased one of these suckers from QRF, and the papers finally cleared this past week. (252 days after pending)

This is one of their Stainless/Stainless/Titanium models. Baffles and caps are SS, tube is titanium. I ordered it with with a black cerakote finish, and 5/8-24 threads.

It is also available in all SS, which is a bit heavier at 23.1oz and less expensive ($510 MSRP) as well as an all titanium model which is a bit lighter at 13.2oz and more expensive ($885 MSRP). This model currently has an MSRP of $660

As advertised, it is 8" long, and 1.5" in diameter.

Unlike the advertised 18.6oz, it clocked in a hair under at 18.4oz. I speculate that this is because they copied their Scorpion King model, which has the same external dimensions, and just bored it out.

The suppressor came with a nice molle pouch and set of spare O-rings, in a white cardboard box bearing a Lane logo.

When I first took it out of the box for inspection I was caught off guard because it looked like a homogeneous block of black metal. ie: no seams whatsoever. It looked like it was a welded assembly. I purchased this because I wanted a can that was rated for full power .458 loads including .45-70 Government (as a side note, I have been using my Octane 45 with subsonic hand loads for the past 8 months.) I was really hoping to be able have the ability to clean it because I shoot lead.

I shot a note to Cory @ Lane suppressors asking if it was welded, or did I miss something? (There are numerous photos of their disassembled cans out there) Cory replied that indeed it is user serviceable, it's just that they assemble the can prior to cerakote application and then buff/polish it such that the seams disappear. He assured me that it would become self evident after being fired a few times.

I just came back inside from putting a couple rounds through it, 1 subsonic & 1 hot commercial, and yes, it is now evident. [Broken External Image]:

Sub was as quiet as with Octane, and with the BVAC (allegedly 1900fps 400gr JFP) ammo, it reminded me very much of how it sounded with a SiCo Hybrid on it. I know, very subjective rating, but regardless, it's a blast to throw massive chunks of supersonic lead .

Follow-up reports will come. Looking forward to bringing this to a metering day.

And a side-by-side comparison, continuous shot:
- (2) rounds BVAC 400gr JHP 1900fps - unsuppressed (3000lbf-ft of muzzle energy)
- (2) rounds BVAC 400gr JHP 1900fps - suppressed with Lane Scorpion 458 (3000lbf-ft of muzzle energy)
- (2) rounds 405gr RNFP subsonic - suppressed with Lane Scorpion 458 (900lbf-ft of muzzle energy)
- (2) rounds 405gr RNFP subsonic - suppressed with SilencerCo Octane 45HD (900lbf-ft of muzzle energy)

Back
Top Bottom