Late season food plot suggestions

Gunner308

Default rank <1250 posts
ODT Junkie!
123   0
Reaction score
After miles of scouting I have only found 7 oaks dropping acorns this year and the deer are cleaning up what ever hits the grown nearly instantly it seems. I have a few plots that has been planted to accommodate the deer for the winter. However, they are getting hammered. So now I'm debating on planting the other 3 plots but have never really planted this late in the season. So I'm asking for suggestions on seed mixtures/recipes that grow well this late in the year. I've had some experience with brassicas but to buy enough seed to cover all three plots (4 acres total) will break the bank. So guys let me know your suggestions. Planning on planting next week.
Thanks in advance for the advice.

Last edited:
I planted winter peas last year that lasted through at least mid January. Trying a mix of turnips, collards, and mustard this year. Supposed to grow well in cooler temps. I've heard radishes work really well, but I have not been able to find any so far.

If you are looking for something cheap that will come up this late you could plant rye grass. Not there favorite food but it will come up in almost any condition and you can plant an acre for around 40 bucks not including fertilizer.

I talked to a local feed and seed store and they have so me of last years turnip seed still available for a discounted rate. So I think I may try to cut and seed with the turnips next week and once the turnips start to grow a little bit, I'll come back through with either winter wheat or rye. Well see I guess. Thanks for the info.

Yep. Winter peas, turnips, mustard greens, etc. will all grow well late and hearty in the cold. Good luck. Seems like a lot of acorn production is low this year. May be the start of a low cycle that will last about 1-3 years. The shorter the better!

Back
Top Bottom