• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Lee Loadmaster and primers

BkBigKid

Default rank <2500 posts Lifetime Supporter
ODT Junkie!
240   0
Reaction score
So I broke down and bought a lee loadmaster press for 9mm and after the adjustments and all got things working right Or at least I thought.

The only problem I am having is not seating the primers far enough. Took some to the range yesterday and had to double strike about half of the rounds because the first just seated the primer far enough and dented the primer the second strike fired them every time.

I done the adjustments several times and still have a few primers not seated right.

Any tips or tricks that I am missing. Hate to have to run everything through a single stage just to ensure a well seated primer.

Thanks

Hand prime! :-) I feel much better in doing so!..lol I love the Lee hand priming tool too. Seats them exactly right every time. I just get too nervous trying to watch everything on a progressive to ensure its working correctly. I will take the extra hour to load rounds and make sure I don't have a firearm blow up in my face. Just my 2 cents though.

Although I don't use a progressive press, I personally never liked Press Primer seating, I use a hand primer. It would seem to me your Problem is seating them to far in, Not, seating them shallow or Far enough. Or maybe you have other problems, with your Load, IE: to Long OAL, Hard Primers, Maybe your Light Strike is due to Firing Pin or other problems with your weapon. What are you Loading, or what are your Load Specs? Have you "Plunk Tested" your Loads?

Last edited:
Plunk test is fine

I know it isn't seating them deep enough as some rounds (not all) you can feel the primer above the base of the round.

I was shooting them through a glock 19 with a wolf barrel or a taurus 1911 in 9mm. Second strike and they fired everytime. That leads me to belive that they weren't seated deep enough. And the first strike just dented the primer and seated them futher or correctly. I ran across this hand loading as well. If they aren't seated deep enough the primer moves forward not giving it a hard enough punch to ingite it.

Looking for tips or tricks to get this part working right without using a hand primer.

Plunk test is fine

I know it isn't seating them deep enough as some rounds (not all) you can feel the primer above the base of the round.

I was shooting them through a glock 19 with a wolf barrel or a taurus 1911 in 9mm. Second strike and they fired everytime. That leads me to belive that they weren't seated deep enough. And the first strike just dented the primer and seated them futher or correctly. I ran across this hand loading as well. If they aren't seated deep enough the primer moves forward not giving it a hard enough punch to ingite it.

Looking for tips or tricks to get this part working right without using a hand primer.

Never seen Primers "MOVE IN" with a Firing Pin Strike. If your Brass or Primer Pockets are that loose or worn, throw it out. I have seen Primers move OUT after firing showing Over Pressure signs. Also High set Primers usually cause Slam Fire, Double Tapping and or Other Problems. I have seen guys on several other Forums having Primer seating Problems, with Not only the Lee but other Progressive Presses. Some have solved their Problems, some chose to Hand Prime anyway.
Now if your too Deep and partially Crushing the interior of Primer Cup slightly that could maybe Cause the need for a second pin strike. Thats why I don't Press Prime, I set several off and just could not develope the "FEEL" with the Press, to much Torque. Hand Priming I have never set off a Primer in 35+ years, and have never had Primer Depth issues. I see by Googling the Problem that it is a Common Progressive Press problem and pain in the Butt problem to solve and get the adjustments right. But once/if you do, people really like them. So Good Luck.

Last edited:
I hand loaded a few primers in 38 spec using a lee hand load kit. I didn't get the primers In Good enough using that method and required several strikes. I may be fairly new to reloading and can see the over seating primers being a issue as well. All these were from underseating. Where the primer isn't hitting the shell letting it travel forwards when struck. Primer is being held in by the tightness of the pocket.

Going to do a lot more google/bing searches

the lees require another $100 in parts to work right. when the time comes my money goes to dillon. you are correct in assuming the striker/firing pin is just seating the primers. best solution is to hand prime your brass and remove the decapping pin in your die.

If you are hand loading the primers and they do the same thing, try a Primer Pocket Uniformer or possibly a swager (I would give the primer pocket uniformer a try first). If you have the same problem on other calibers, it could be a number of things... the press, the hand loader, the primers and/or your technique.

Back
Top Bottom