• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Lee Loadmaster and primers

Your very first step would be to call LEE ... their people are knowledgeable and will help you!
The thing that jumps into my mind is a loose or improperly installed shell plate (if it has one).

The priming process will "raise" a loose shell plate and result in a "crowned" primer seat (not good!)

Good Luck, and Let us know what happens!

BTW: If you are using TULA or WOLF Primers, they have "short legs" and need to be firmly seated!

Last edited:
Try making sure that you push up on the press handle firmly each time. You should be able to feel the primer go into the case.

I use a Lee Pro 1000 for my 45 acp and have never had this problem. Wolf and Tula are a tighter fit but still go in with no problem. I think checking with Lee like Clarke123 suggested would be good idea. Seating the primer on a Lee press requires you to make sure you firmly bring the handle completely back up to fully seat the primer. You can definitely feel the primer seat.

We love our loadmaster, our 9mm run flawless... But it's very specific and deliberate movements each and every time. I had to tweak the primer depth at first, but have zero issues now.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 27
Ok I am a idiot!!!!

Reset my primer according to lee's video and added a extra two bolt face turns. I also realized while depriming and sizing I wasn't hitting the stop on the press but a tad off. Going from a single stage to a 5 station progressive I wasn't putting the right force to seat all 5 dies leading to primers not seated completely.

I ran 80 rounds through the press and every primer appeared to be seated correctly not a one above the rim of the primer pocket. Hopefully I get them to the range tommorrow and make sure I got it right before reloading the rest of my cases.

Thanks for your input but this one was operator error.

Back
Top Bottom