Legal Open Carrier Sues Tampa LEO more open carry stupidity

I'm with you on the additional training. But I don't want a 911 operator making the decision on when they should send a first responder. Take the info and send it to the correct responder asap is all they should be doing.

I understand your thinking, but a little training for operators could save lots of taxpayer dollars by avoiding frivilous and unnecessary encounters by LEO's who have better things to do.

For example, I don't think a 911 operator should send LEO's out on a confrontation if a caller said "I just saw a Mexican (or black man or white man...etc) on the fishing pier. That would be profiling and it's illegal.
Sending LEO's to "investigate" a man just because he was open carrying while fishing (which is perfectly legal) is also profiling, illegal and dangerous for all the parties - especially when the goof ball LEO's are "sneaking up on him and trying to grab gun!!

I understand your thinking, but a little training for operators could save lots of taxpayer dollars by avoiding frivilous and unnecessary encounters by LEO's who have better things to do.

For example, I don't think a 911 operator should send LEO's out on a confrontation if a caller said "I just saw a Mexican (or black man or white man...etc) on the fishing pier. That would be profiling and it's illegal.
Sending LEO's to "investigate" a man just because he was open carrying while fishing (which is perfectly legal) is also profiling, illegal and dangerous for all the parties - especially when the goof ball LEO's are "sneaking up on him and trying to grab gun!!

I agree. But there is not one county in Georgia that will spend the additional money to train their 911 operators to that level - or accept that liability. it's just not going to happen. It's usually considered an entry level position and they are hardly paid as it is. It's just reality.

I agree. But there is not one county in Georgia that will spend the additional money to train their 911 operators to that level - or accept that liability. it's just not going to happen. It's usually considered an entry level position and they are hardly paid as it is. It's just reality.
The building I work in houses the City of Atlanta E911 Center as well as the group that monitors and dispatches on all of the video cameras in downtown ATL. Having met and had in depth conversations with some of those City employees about what they do and how they are trained and having the same types of discussions with the APD officers that actually monitor the cameras, I would say that the above statement is not entirely true. There are some entry level operators but not all that many and training to a certain level is mandatory before being allowed to take actual 911 calls. Also. I discussed with one senior E911 dispatcher how they are educated on carry laws and told NOT to dispatch on a man with a gun call unless the gun is being displayed or used in a threatening manner.

This case in Tampa STINKS of untrained LEO or LEO trying to prove a point...that OC allows your weapon to be easily grabbed....either way that officer and his chain of command is liable for their actions/foolishness on this day and they should all be flogged in a public square....

Last edited:
Might if enough insist but most won't put up with the tax increase it would take to attract the best and train them to an exceptable level.

The building I work in houses the City of Atlanta E911 Center as well as the group that monitors and dispatches on all of the video cameras in downtown ATL. Having met and had in depth conversations with some of those City employees about what they do and how they are trained and having the same types of discussions with the APD officers that actually monitor the cameras, I would say that the above statement is not entirely true. There are some entry level operators but not all that many and training to a certain level is mandatory before being allowed to take actual 911 calls. Also. I discussed with one senior E911 dispatcher how they are educated on carry laws and told NOT to dispatch on a man with a gun call unless the gun is being displayed or used in a threatening manner.

This case in Tampa STINKS of untrained LEO or LEO trying to prove a point...that OC allows your weapon to be easily grabbed....either way that officer and his chain of command is liable for their actions/foolishness on this day and they should all be flogged in a public square....
No it stinks of an officer that is scared.

I'm totally in agreement that what the guy was doing was legal, the LEO acted irresponsibly for pulling the guy's firearm and legal action can/should be taken.

I'm all for outside carry, when it makes sense. Hunting, fishing, camping in wilderness areas and similar situations. I know it's my RIGHT to do so. But, is it the smart thing to do?

I have the RIGHT to ride my motorcycle or walk around the mall in Speedo's, a tank top and flip flops. But, why would I? Other than to attract attention to myself.

Outside carry when CCW will suffice, in my opinion, is overcompensating for something. You're not educating anyone. You're making some people uncomfortable, playing into the hands of anti-gun liberals and probably going to have a conversation with an LEO.

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. :pop2:

Last edited:
Might if enough insist but most won't put up with the tax increase it would take to attract the best and train them to an exceptable level.

My son in-law is a fireman. Raising taxes for first responder support and training and equipment is ok by me with some oversight.
A few years ago the City of Woodstock purchased a new hook and ladder truck. Gorgeous long, shiny truck with a huge extension ladder - but they have nothing in the city limits over 2 or 3 stories!

The main reason I support this lawsuit is that I support ANYTHING that will cause the state (and their LEO's) to hesitate before harassing law abiding citizens who choose to open or concealed carry.

Maybe this lawsuit will result in more training for LEO's about respecting 2nd Amendment rights or even better training the 911 operators on how to respond to dumb-ass people who call complaining about "someone with a gun".

The proper response by said operator, instead of sending LEO's to the scene, should be something like..."is this person with a gun threatening you in any way? Or acting aggressive? What exactly is person with a gun doing? Oh, I see....he is fishing? Well, ma'am, that is perfectly legal in our state and if you don't like that you are free to move elsewhere. Please do not harass this man in any way or you may be arrested."
I agree, but I am not going to be the guy to be the test case.

The left has gone to court over and over again, to make their point. When you hurt them in their pocketbook they learn not to do it again. Just look at what they have done with christmas displays on public property under the guise of separation of church and state.

Back
Top Bottom