Lengthen Shotgun Forcing Cone

Sharps40

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
4   0
Reaction score
Been wanting to do this for a while. Found a new in box Clymer 12g forcing cone reamer and Craftsmen Tap Handle for $90 and since I have two 12g SxS shotties inbound for customizing.....(Goodwife wants a light handy for around the house and yard) I figured what the heck.

The pair of Winchester 1300 riot guns are the experimental barrels......Kick like mules so maybe this'll help some. In any event, first one went well and needs a bit of final polish to be done....second one went perfect, probably does not need any final polish. All told, 30 minutes to put a 1 3/8" long forcing cone in both barrels.

Easy peasy and the Clymer reamer self centers and really smooths out the final cuts to an almost polish.

The factory forcing cone, not really a forcing cone, more like an abrupt shoulder that appears to be an o-ring in front of the chamber.

i.imgur.com_vQnTGuw.jpg

The first of two forcing cones cut today in the photo below. This one I went a bit too heavy handed on and will have a bit of polishing to do to complete the job. No worries, just another 10 minutes work. (The other barrel was done with a much lighter hand and the final cuts were almost a polish. The cone in the second is lovely. I'll prolly polish it for the practice but I don't think it really needs it......)

i.imgur.com_b6tttxv.jpg

I set things up horizontal on the bench for the second barrel to get some photos, the reaming is done vertically. The cutter self centers and gently pulls itself in, very little down force is needed as I found out with a much better finish on the second try.

The supplies, reamer, tap handle, patches, cleaning rod, brush, lots of good cutting oil.

i.imgur.com_d7mdPY7.jpg

Only turn the reamer about 3 to 5 full turns and then pull and clean it and the barrel. Initially, when hoggin out the abrupt factory cone, the shavings are long and fill the flutes of the reamer quickly....as the cutting progresses, the chips become fine like sawdust and the finish becomes smooth as a babies behind.

i.imgur.com_X41sLuH.jpg

Here the reamer is just starting the cut......After remounting vertically, I reamed slowly, carefully and cleaning and oiling often until the reamer end was even with the lip of the chamber where the cartridge rests. You can check the work as you go, watching the factory forcing cone disappear as it gets longer and gentler. A neat process. Can't wait for them other SxS's to get here. Meantime, I'll have to make up a polisher and finish these barrels up to a high polish.

i.imgur.com_kJPTCqg.jpg

Looks good. I bought a barrel polishing set from brownells a few months back that does great job of polishing barrels. I've been wanting to buy the forcing cone reamer for some time looks like I need go ahead and get one.

Not needed. Modern gun and 12g headspaces on the rim. Its why ya can backbore full length and not have trouble

Did a 400 and 600 polishing pass on both barrels.

A slotted stick, some 400 and 600. I reinforced the back of the paper with duct tape, used oil for the lube and padded the wrap with fine bubble wrap for the pressure. Worked great. I believe the 600g finish in the chamber and forcing cone exceeds the factory polish in the barrel. Might have to try a beater full length for a clean up....

i.imgur.com_TVCOcAM.jpg

Sample, this is the first barrel I put a long forcing cone in, before and then after the polishing. Good enough I think and smooth as the babies butt. Should be fun getting it dirty next weekend.

i.imgur.com_9UKwqGO.jpg

The 600 finish fairly shines in the chamber and forcing cone. Will be interesting to see, if when polished this way on a SxS do the fired shells drop free when the muzzle is turned up and given a quick shake.

i.imgur.com_zxuPpfv.jpg

I am watching your thread with interest on what effect this has on felt recoil I had a thread looking for a shop to do this but if it is this easy and the reamer set up looks to ba about the cost of a barrel at a shop may as well do them myself.

Oh, I recon 12g buckshot will still roar and smack me around. The tell with the Win 1300s is whether or not it still splits my cheek. If not, I'll know there was some kickease in the throating.

From there, I hope it helps some with a coach gun build for GoodWife. She picked out a single trigger Fox B for her project. Should turn out well, but that one may still need either a mercury break in the stock or at least a pvc pipe full of lead shot even with longer forcing cones. But with luck, the long forcing cones and a soft pad on a properly shortened stock will tame it enough for her. If not, we'll also try managed recoil buck and trap loads for her.

Back
Top Bottom