• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Let’s play the “What is it?” game!

35B22C1C-23B3-4981-A9B4-EE86D551C06B.jpeg

I'm going to guess that this is a home built illegal gun, an improvised gun, sort of like a "zip gun" but bigger and more accurate .
Probably made in some person's basement or garage workshop, probably in some Third World country like the Philippines, Brazil, Chile, India, or Pakistan.

It looks like a machine pistol, but I don't see any provision for a magazine so I'll assume that it is actually a single shot that works on the open bolt or slam-fire design.

The wide, short hollow tube on the back of the receiver looks like it was meant to hold a quick detachable shoulder stock (which is not pictured).

That's my guess.

Below is some other gun I found that is also a one-off homemade production very crude, ugly, do it yourself improvised firearm seized by the authorities in Brazil.

I think it has a "similar look" to the one we're trying to I.D. (I'm not posting that second image to try to submit any new challenge to the group. I'm just showing where I came up with my idea/guess).
00A9A857-F8E1-4FB2-8D1B-ABF66974D092.jpeg

View attachment 4236496

I'm going to guess that this is a home built illegal gun, an improvised gun, sort of like a "zip gun" but bigger and more accurate .
Probably made in some person's basement or garage workshop, probably in some Third World country like the Philippines, Brazil, Chile, India, or Pakistan.

It looks like a machine pistol, but I don't see any provision for a magazine so I'll assume that it is actually a single shot that works on the open bolt or slam-fire design.

The wide, short hollow tube on the back of the receiver looks like it was meant to hold a quick detachable shoulder stock (which is not pictured).

That's my guess.

Below is some other gun I found that is also a one-off homemade production very crude, ugly, do it yourself improvised firearm seized by the authorities in Brazil.

I think it has a "similar look" to the one we're trying to I.D. (I'm not posting that second image to try to submit any new challenge to the group. I'm just showing where I came up with my idea/guess).
View attachment 4236497
It was improvised in that it was a prototype 9mm SMG, never adopted by any country.

I guess I could give another hint, it feeds from a Helical 50 round magazine.

View attachment 4236496

That's my guess.

View attachment 4236497
Also that picture makes me think of those “meanwhile at Taurus” memes

That hint was very helpful.
I never realized how many weapons were out there for which the magazine was a helical design; I was only familiar with the Calico.

So, this thing is a Douglas "Recoilless" SMG or 'machine pistol' designed in the late 1960s. A prototype was tested by the Canadian military.

Quote from article about this weapon:
"The method of eliminating the felt recoil of the gun was achieved by having the bolt and barrel fixed together by a spring. When the gun was fired, the bolt would blow backward as expected, and the barrel would blow forward; the central spring connecting the two would then pull them back together, meanwhile the gap that had temporarily been opened would allow a new cartridge to be loaded into the breech from the magazine."

BDD77CE0-4B63-4160-B456-AF4ABFBD5CC8.jpeg

That hint was very helpful.
I never realized how many weapons were out there for which the magazine was a helical design; I was only familiar with the Calico.

So, this thing is a Douglas "Recoilless" SMG or 'machine pistol' designed in the late 1960s. A prototype was tested by the Canadian military.

Quote from article about this weapon:
"The method of eliminating the felt recoil of the gun was achieved by having the bolt and barrel fixed together by a spring. When the gun was fired, the bolt would blow backward as expected, and the barrel would blow forward; the central spring connecting the two would then pull them back together, meanwhile the gap that had temporarily been opened would allow a new cartridge to be loaded into the breech from the magazine."

View attachment 4252998
Yes sir, you win.
As a machinist I have a big interest in prototype firearms and ones that have usual mechanisms. Also, it’s from my homeland, so whenever I hear of a gun designed in Canada or by a Canadian I take note.

Back
Top Bottom