• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Let’s talk scopes

OK I’m reading about the CDS and it’s cool but is it worth an extra $150? It looks like the same scope without it is $319 at places. I don’t mind buying once and crying once but I also don’t want to spend money on a cute convenience I’ll maybe never use. Which leads to my next question....what are y’all s ring recommendations?

Leupold is over-priced at any given price-point compared to what you get from just about any other quality manufacturer. They are also the only ones that don't seem to know the difference between IPHY and MOA and consistently make scopes with a combination of MOA, mrad and IPHY.

Leupold is over-priced at any given price-point compared to what you get from just about any other quality manufacturer. They are also the only ones that don't seem to know the difference between IPHY and MOA and consistently make scopes with a combination of MOA, mrad and IPHY.

I will have to make a google run to understand what you just said. I did go look a Zeiss and they are just out of my reach. $699 for discontinued models.

OK I’m reading about the CDS and it’s cool but is it worth an extra $150? It looks like the same scope without it is $319 at places. I don’t mind buying once and crying once but I also don’t want to spend money on a cute convenience I’ll maybe never use. Which leads to my next question....what are y’all s ring recommendations?

Leopold rings are good, so as vortex and Burris. Cannot go wrong with either .

+1 for the 3-9x40 accupoint. I hunt with a 2.5-10x56 and I love everything about it except the weight. The 3-9s are very lightweight, and they have some very nice reticle options, no batteries or switches to worry about, which I love for a hunting gun. It was always a struggle for me to remember to cut on/off and adjust the brightness on my turkey gun optic for changing light conditions. You don’t really need illumination on a hunting gun, but it’s great for snap shots on low power. Excellent glass, light transmission, and eye relief is super generous compared to some of the low-mid level Vortex scopes I have owned.

Leupolds are nice and definantly in your price range. If 500 is your upper limit I would stick with Leupold.

A few questions to consider, or think about before spending your money.

Bear44, Remmy, and others may have some ideas also.

Where are you going to hunt? Only in Jawja, or in the West?

Just going to hunt only Whitetail, and Hawgs?

What distances are you going to shoot, or try to shoot?

Most shots in Jawja, or the southeast are well under 100 yards?

The only places most can see farther than 100 yards are, Soybean, Corn, Beans/Peas, Millet, Orchards, and in our case is Logging roads. We have the ability to shoot up to 500+ yards. So a 3X9 is not our choice.

Do you really shoot farther than 100 yards, or buddy has a higher power and just want one, or will it be used to its maximum capabilities?

Or could you use the money for other items, like binoculars, trail cams, or shooting vises?

Just a few suggestions to strongly consider before buying anything, maybe just buy another rifle or hand gun??? Or just put the money up until you have decided completely...

A few questions to consider, or think about before spending your money.

Bear44, Remmy, and others may have some ideas also.

Where are you going to hunt? Only in Jawja, or in the West?

Just going to hunt only Whitetail, and Hawgs?

What distances are you going to shoot, or try to shoot?

Most shots in Jawja, or the southeast are well under 100 yards?

The only places most can see farther than 100 yards are, Soybean, Corn, Beans/Peas, Millet, Orchards, and in our case is Logging roads. We have the ability to shoot up to 500+ yards. So a 3X9 is not our choice.

Do you really shoot farther than 100 yards, or buddy has a higher power and just want one, or will it be used to its maximum capabilities?

Or could you use the money for other items, like binoculars, trail cams, or shooting vises?

Just a few suggestions to strongly consider before buying anything, maybe just buy another rifle or hand gun??? Or just put the money up until you have decided completely...

Good questions and I’ve thought through most of them. 100yd and less is the range of the only place I hunt at the moment. So 200yd capability is versatile enough for me. I think the 3x9 range is more than sufficient.

Back
Top Bottom