• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Let’s talk scopes

Leupold VX2. You don't need all the wanna be sniper stuff on a hunting rifle. Get a 3-9 hunt with it on 4x. Keep it simple.

Yeah this is right on. It's a hunting rifle and you don't need a sniper scope "for God and country" to take a deer. For $200-$300 you can get a good clear glass that will do everything you will ever need. Keep it simple. Less is more.

If you can find one which I have I would go with the Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40, it is like looking thru a 50 mm objective, very bright and hard to find.

I'm not as sold on leupold as a lot of the others on here. I've noticed more people having issues with their leopold's than any other optic.

Please note..... I dont currently own a Leupold but have owned good ones in years past that lived up to the good reputation they still have. I have just noticed more issues on the firing line in the past year with their scopes than any others. My observations have been from several appleseed events on rimfire and center fire rifles at 25 yards and at a known distance event out to 600. Not saying they're bad just saying it would give me pause if I was considering a purchase for myself. In almost each instance we were able to eliminate the possibility of operator error or improper mounting and the issue seemed to be with the equipment itself.

I 3rd the Zeiss Conquest recommendation. Hope you are happy with whatever you end up with!

Leupold is no longer the de facto choice in that price range. While you won't "make a mistake" buying Leupold, there ARE other viable options and often priced more reasonably. I'd really love for fanboys to do a low light 'blind' test through various makes and models. I suspect some would get their feelings hurt.
Now, I have more Leupolds than anything else, but I try and be practical. I've mentioned before but the last 4 hunting scopes I bought, in no particular order are ...
Leupold VX III 4.5-14 x 40 AO
Burris Fullfield II 4.5-14 x 42
Sightron SII BigSky 4.5-14 x42
Bushnell Elite 4200 3-9 x40 (Stole that one on clearance).

I honestly would fail my own "blind test' discerning between the four. I'm not saying there aren't some differences but they are immaterial for hunting purposes. The noticeable difference I can find is the fit and finish on the Burris is a 'touch' less impressive. That's really nit picking.

Here's something else people fail to realize.... NOBODY'S EYES ARE THE SAME! What looks best to me, may not to you and vice versa. I've had rifle scopes my entire life. It's about impossible to really test a hunting scope in a store. Not always available but find a buddy with a long view off their deck and a model (or more) that you are interested in and go sit on their deck one evening and test out the low light gathering and edge clarity. Any scope in that range shoudl have no problem repeatedly holding zero. (Having said that, even NightForce occasionally does but you won't be adjusting this scope much if at all once set.) PM coming your way.....

3x9 is more than sufficient and obviously the most popular but a 3x multiplier was all there used to be (readily available). You can now get 4x or more so don't overlook searches on 2.5-10x etc....

+1 for the 3-9x40 accupoint. I hunt with a 2.5-10x56 and I love everything about it except the weight. The 3-9s are very lightweight, and they have some very nice reticle options, no batteries or switches to worry about, which I love for a hunting gun. It was always a struggle for me to remember to cut on/off and adjust the brightness on my turkey gun optic for changing light conditions. You don’t really need illumination on a hunting gun, but it’s great for snap shots on low power. Excellent glass, light transmission, and eye relief is super generous compared to some of the low-mid level Vortex scopes I have owned.

Leupolds are nice and definantly in your price range. If 500 is your upper limit I would stick with Leupold.

Me too. Trijicon is hard to beat, a little pricey. But certain models can be had for 500$ and change. Plus perfect for dual hunting and tactical, plinking. Etc.

I'm not as sold on leupold as a lot of the others on here. I've noticed more people having issues with their leopold's than any other optic.

Please note..... I dont currently own a Leupold but have owned good ones in years past that lived up to the good reputation they still have. I have just noticed more issues on the firing line in the past year with their scopes than any others. My observations have been from several appleseed events on rimfire and center fire rifles at 25 yards and at a known distance event out to 600. Not saying their bad just saying it would give me pause if I was considering a purchase for myself. In almost each instance we were able to eliminate the possibility of operator error or improper mounting and the issue seemed to be with the equipment itself.

I 3rd the Zeiss Conquest recommendation. Hope you are happy with whatever you end up with!

Often now days new companies offer superior scopes for less money. But like myself. Paying less often brings on the indecision and thinking cheaper can lead to junk, and by this i mean less than a grand

Back
Top Bottom