Let's Hear It For the Ammo Flippers!

You wouldn't have to do that if it wasn't for the flippers. The are, without a doubt, prolonging the ammo panic.

How? How can they prolong the panic of unprepared consumers? At some point their ROII will crash (when supply resumes normal pace) and they'll have to decide whether to hold the inventory and hope for another uptick in prices (we've all seen the 'tards at the gunshows with ridiculous prices on the guns they've carted to every show for the past 15 years because they paid too much last time a panic ensued) OR they'll need or want cash flow for another investment and dump their ammo at reduced prices, often under present retails in order to generate capital quickly.

When supply exceeds demand, the flippers will have lots of ammo for sale at reasonable prices just like everyone else.

For all we know supply HAS returned to its normal pace. Last year how many bricks of 22s did Wal-Mart actually sell? More than now or just have more sitting on the shelf? Flippers artificially perpetuate the panic by keeping the shelves bare. When normal buyers come in day after day and only find empty shelves it's only natural to assume that it's not coming in. I've talked to several sporting goods associates who've told me it IS coming in but going out just as fast. ****ing flippers.

How? How can they prolong the panic of unprepared consumers? At some point their ROII will crash (when supply resumes normal pace) and they'll have to decide whether to hold the inventory and hope for another uptick in prices (we've all seen the 'tards at the gunshows with ridiculous prices on the guns they've carted to every show for the past 15 years because they paid too much last time a panic ensued) OR they'll need or want cash flow for another investment and dump their ammo at reduced prices, often under present retails in order to generate capital quickly.

When supply exceeds demand, the flippers will have lots of ammo for sale at reasonable prices just like everyone else.

Here's how they're prolonging the panic (from link I posted earlier in this thread):

Here's how I think it harms the market:
Guy#1: Goes to Walmart and happens to see 22LR even though he doesn't plan to shoot it. He buys all he can and lists it for 200% profit.
Guy#2: Goes to Walmart to get some 22LR to shoot with his son and miraculously finds just 3 boxes there. He buys all he can since he doesn't know when there will be more.
Guy#3: Goes to Walmart and there's no 22LR to shoot with his daughter. He goes to ODT and buys it.
Guy#3: Goes to Walmart again and happens to see 22LR. He buys all he can because he doesn't want to get screwed again even though it'll be years before he shoots these 1500 rounds.
Guy #1: Goes back to Walmart again, buys more 22LR, and creates more guys like #2 and #3.

It's a vicious cycle. The scarcity is false because if #1 didn't exist, #2 and #3 wouldn't have bought as much. This example is far from perfect, I know. Setting up a tax number and accounting for the sales like a business would make it less desirable, but that's one reason why you're supposed to do it. One point of the tax system is to make being an ass less attractive.

Capitalism without regulation is a Laissez-faire economy. No thanks. I'm sporting a Libertarian avatar right now [I was], so I get the whole "leave me alone, Government" idea. Some policies are around for a reason though.

Enough with the "you're just *****ing about the price" stuff. I know this is a long thread, but that's been covered.

And contributing to the fear and anxiety is a government pushing at every opportunity to reduce the availability and increase the cost of ALL ammunition. Tighter regulations on manufacturers. ..tougher import requirements. ..per round excise taxes. ..one POS politician or another is putting forth another proposed law every week.

that should be a sticky lol

not because its the right thing to do, just so everyone knows what exactly a flipper is

Yeah, the term is too broad.

The guy that buys a GP100 for $400 and then resells it three years later for $450 is just a hobbyist that made a good flip.

The guy that has 10k of ammo in a safe that sells off some when he wants a new toy is just a hobbyist also. If the market is good, he makes some money. Not much different than buying silver when it's low.

The guy that buys a 1911 for $600 here and immediately re-lists it for $800 is just a douche. At least he's just dealing with the items bought privately instead of reselling retail items.

Those are all real cases, btw.

Last edited:
Yeah, the term is too broad.

The guy that buys a GP100 for $400 and then resells it three years later for $450 is just a hobbyist that made a good flip.

The guy that has 10k of ammo in a safe that sells off some when he wants a new toy is just a hobbyist also. If the market is good, he makes some money. Not much different than buying silver when it's low.

The guy that buys a 1911 for $600 here and immediately re-lists it for $800 is just a douche. At least he's just dealing with the items bought privately instead of reselling retail items.

Those are all real cases, btw.
agreed

nothing wrong with buying and holding on to stuff and deciding to sell later, or even buying like a crate of mosins to flip a year or two down the line at market price

my issue is the short term clean out a retailer dickbag

I think the government should own all goods, and distribute them fairly to those who wait in line/wake up early/can afford them, and to those who do not, and cannot afford them, equally. I envision a collective society where all houses, cars, and possessions are owned by a central governing body which can fairly distribute them amongst the people.

Back
Top Bottom