• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Lever rifles

Just curious. I have little experience with lever guns, and was thinking of picking one up, likely in a pistol caliber (.44 mag/.44 spec/.45 LC). I read a slightly older thread somewhere here a few days ago where someone took a huge dump on lever guns for accuracy, range and quality. I can't seem to find it again. One thing that I have learned is that they are not cheap, and are hard to find in most calibers other than .22LR or .22Mag. I do not hunt, but love to shoot quality guns. I know they've been around for what - 150 or so years? Doin' something right. Question, though. Side load or tube load? Advantages or Dis or either? The Henrys seem to weigh about twice as much as a Rossi, with a harder to find Winchester even more. Where is a good place to start?
Lever action guns will always be popular and command a premium. One of the few guns that stay pretty level when it comes to price and appreciation. They will be sought after due to Hollywood westerns. Especially Chuck Conners. The intro to that show with him working the action on his large loop Winchester will be imprinted on our minds for ever. Everyone loves The Rifleman.

** Update **

Traded yesterday for a very nice, Winchester 94 in 30-30. Purported to be a 1972. Nice shape. Can't wait to shoot!

Regarding the above thread, my Pop always LOVED the westerns when I was a kid. Bonanza, Gunsmoke, Branded, Rawhide, The rifleman... craziest thing, though, my house was full of bed-wetting libs that hated guns!!! (sorry, includes you Pop, RIP).

Ive been collecting lever guns for years, got my first in 1968 at 10 years old, a marlin 30-30,and I still have it. I now own a bunch, mostly Marlins but I do have a few Henery's, My favorite is a 1969 short action 1895 marlin in 44 mag with the 20" barrel and the brass saddle ring, , It's a awesome shooter, smooth action and deadly accurate.

I started that silly thread about lever gun accuracy. I have since come to the conclusion that I was wrong.
I have owned darn near 10 lever guns. The first when I was 12 . I have found that every now and then it can be a hit or miss situation literally. I had one that couldn't hit the center ring with a box of shells. The rest were reliable shooters. So if you have only owned a couple I can see how or why you could come to that conclusion. It's certainly not the norm though. I love them!

Back
Top Bottom