• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Load data on .223

greg vess

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Elite Idiot
120   1
Reaction score
I have been loading my 6.8 for a long time now just because it's rather expensive. Now I want to get into reloading my .223 rounds since I have a ton of brass collected.

What I am looking for is a good load for accuracy 60 grain V-Max and I have a 100 count box of 75 gr. A-Max as well. I will be shooting out of a 18 inch barrel. I just wanting some good recipes that I can try without going in blind.

Right now I have the usual H335 and H322. I also have some Accurate 2200, XBR 8208 ( which works great in my 6.8 ) IMR 4198 and 4895. I am planning on getting some Benchmark as well. I know that what works in one gun might not in another but anything besides starting at the top and at the lowest weight.

I am really not worried about speed right now just accuracy and maybe stumble on a good load for my barrel. I can work up 20 rounds per batch mark them, and go on to another load.

I would appreciate some feedback to give me push in the right direction. I forgot about Clark I might give him a call but he shoots out of a 24 inch barrel.

Here’s a start without buying the book...

https://press.hornady.com/assets/site/hornady/files/load-data/223-rem-60-62gr-1.pdf

E51C8E28-5D3D-43F2-A61A-0576243CFCDB.jpeg

I’d load 10 at min charge and go up 1/2 a grain and do the same.

Find out what cycles the bolt.

Then when you nail that, start at THAT min load and do 10 more and increase 1/2 grain to figure out which recipe your barrel prefers.

You will see groups tighten up and loosen up.... that’s the fun part. When you nail the recipe, it won’t be the same for another barrel lmao! Maybe close though...

Have fun and be safe!

ACCURACY,

What kind of brass prep are you doing?

Accuracy starts at the beginning, so give us an example of what is your system for reloading...
Well I start with tumbling the brass, then de- prime and resize the case, check length, clean out the primer pockets and ream if need be, then I de-burr and chamfer to better seat the projectile. I think that just about covers it. Then I weigh out all the projectiles into two piles depending on the variance of weight. Then hand weigh out every powder throw and seat to lenght using one of those micrometer adj. jobs.

I have all the manuals and magazines and copies of other sources I have collected over the years. I was just wondering if someone had come with a good powder that produce consistent results out of a 18 inch barrel. I guess I will start at the top of the data chart and work my way down. That's what I was trying to avoid. Every know and then a guy will throw out a good load to work with.

I called Clark who remain anonymous has been reloading since forever and he gave me a coupl of his secrete loads. He also gave me a list of his favorite powers and projectiles. I take him with me up to River Bend Every now and then and we just shoot. To me it's therapeutic. Just out in the middle of BFE with no one around on through the weekday.

Most of the data for a 223 is based on a 24 inch barrel, and the data for 5.56 is often based on a 20 inch barrel. So, in some books, the 223 almost appears to be the 5.56’s equal. You have an 18 inch barrel. So, your velocity will likely be less than the published data for either case.

You said you have some H322. I would try that at near max charge levels for the 60 grain bullet because if it won’t shoot accurately at full power, it is not going shoot well past 400 yards. It just just won’t have the energy needed for a light bullet at the longer ranges. If the H322 looks bad, try another powder at or near a max load. I would shoot all of your powders at or near max, take the best results and start fine tuning with that powder.

For the 75 grain bullet, I would start 1/2 grain off of max with the 4895.

I usually run my 6.8 at very close to max charge maybe .50 less or so. XBR 8208 worked excellently out my 18 inch Wilson Combat barrel I had. I now have a 18 inch super sniper barrel from WC So I plan on starting there. That's a good reference for this barrel. I have a 18 inch BA Hanson Barrel and have no clue where to start. Clark is a member here and I take him up to River Bend every now and then and he reloads .223 extensively and has been doing so for a very long time. He gave me a good load to start out with and a couple powders that work really well for him. That's all I wanted was a couple of good recommendations so I didn't have to start out totally blind. I mean all the different powders and all the weights involved can be overwhelming. His info gave me a good start.
Your info will be helpful to. I will just start out with very close to max charge with every new powder and work from there. I used a almost max charge of H335 for my 6.8 and at 75 yards it was impressively accurate for just iron sights. It's a 14.5 inch barreled job and it hit almost as hard as my .308 but it's half the weight. I could tell the loads were running on the hot side.

Back
Top Bottom