• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Load development

What's your home brew recipe for your 6.5 cm, and how many shot groups, 3 shot, or 5 shot groups. Powder brand, grain weight,
OAL Length, & PRIMER. THANKS for your info...

Not trying to derail post just wondering what you are using.??

In short, yes. This is the first time I have loaded VLD style bullets, so I spoke with the tech dept. at Berger. They were awesome. On their website, they have instructions on finding the best length for your gun. Find the distance to your lands and back off .10. The next three lengths should be an additional .40, which end up at .130 from the lands. I picked a KNOWN safe charge for that weight bullet. The rep said that ONE length would definitely stand out. He was right. From there, you can play with the powder charge.

Now, on the flip-side to this method, I have also just finished breaking in a 6.5 Swede. I am going to do the ladder test that RED-X posted in here. I have never done it that way, but it will be interesting to see if I can find that optimum charge node with 10 shots. Then, I will try adjusting the length. Hopefully that will save some bullets.
^^^^^^^^^
Yep!
I do basically the same. I'll load a dummy round extra long, smoke the bullet with candle wax, gently.....gently load the round. Extract gently.....gently and measure my col. Then drop .005, .025, .045, .065 and load five of each in the middle range of powder. 1 load normally stands out from the others. Then I start playing with the powder charge.

But once again my rifles will out shoot me. I would still be happy with your results. If you want to play and have time, why not, enjoy..you did good!

What's your home brew recipe for your 6.5 cm, and how many shot groups, 3 shot, or 5 shot groups. Powder brand, grain weight,
OAL Length, & PRIMER. THANKS for your info...

Not trying to derail post just wondering what you are using.??

if that was directed towards me, any where between 42.2 and 43.6 grains of H4350 or RL16. First two creedmoors I had loved 42.5 grains of H4350, next two loved 43.0 grains of h4350 or RL16. right now Im running 42.8 grains. Also when I was doing my ladder test all 9 rounds were inside of .75" my node was 4 shots between 42.6 and 43.3 within .4" went with 42.8 to avoid any issues with Altitudes/Temperatures.

I'm finally getting a good and inexpensive round for my R.E.M. 700 in .308. 150gr fmj/bt at 100 yards with a charge of RamTac it seems to like. I feel like I've accomplished something!! If I were a better shot the group might be tighter. The oal is 2.810 so it fits in the mag well. Do I still mess with adjusting the oal or call it a day? I'm not a competition shooter, just a hunter. I guess I'm feeling that newbie high from reloading.
View attachment 1193639
Nice group! You will really be feeling a high when you take game with your reloads.Very satisfying!

Feels good doesn't it? That is a really good group for what looks like 5 shots. 1 inch? Very good. About 15-20 thou off the leade will reduce bullet jump and can contribute to a slight increase in accuracy. If they fit the magazine at that length. I wouldn't change too much though, you are doing really good with that load.

Feels good doesn't it? That is a really good group for what looks like 5 shots. 1 inch? Very good. About 15-20 thou off the leade will reduce bullet jump and can contribute to a slight increase in accuracy. If they fit the magazine at that length. I wouldn't change too much though, you are doing really good with that load.

It does feel good!!

Back
Top Bottom