• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Loaded Magazines in storage

AR mags? Or something else?
I keep 1/2 dozen AR mags loaded in storage and they seem to be mostly unaffected and operate fine.
But
I Stored some Ruger 22LR mags 15rd and 20rd Factory mags and they wouldn’t feed at all after 1 year of storage. I don’t store them loaded anymore.

I shot some aloomeenium mags that had been stored for several years, maybe a decade, the other day. Ran all 29 rounds just fine. I’ve had pmags split at the top loaded for too long. In their defense they’re in the trunk of a patrol car and not exactly climate controlled. No issue with springs though

I keep all mags loaded to max capacity -1 for more positive seating regardless of slide/bolt open or closed.

Spring wear stems from the compress/relax/compress cycle of loading/unloading. Leaving a mag unloaded or loaded in a static state (storage) will have little to no impact on spring health.

Just be mindful of feed lips spreading. The little dust covers that come with PMags are good in that regard, as they take the tension off of the feed lips while stored. I've left many PMags loaded for extended periods without a dust cover in place and while they all still seat/function perfectly, enough spread/deformation has occurred that the dust cover will no longer positively engage. Those mags have been relegated to range use.

Back
Top Bottom