Loading 9mm with Titegroup on a Dillon 650

Bsquared62

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
95   0
Reaction score
Gents, looking for advice here.

I've been reloading for over a year, all 9mm. I went ahead and bought the 650 because I figured I end up there anyway. I still consider myself a rookie. It took me a while to get the loads to be consistent - lots of issues with COL, less so with powder charge. I finally got it, though, and I loaded 1200 rounds recently with almost no issues. I do spot checking for quality control about every 15-20 rounds, and I'll still find some COL out of whack. But I'm loading on the low-mid range of powder so I figure if it is a little short, the pressure is still OK. Still not what I was expecting from the Dillon. I'm using Silhouette powder with Berry plated RN 115gr. The range for that powder is rather wide (5.2 - 5.9), which gives me a little leeway as I try to load 5.4-5.5, and in my QC checking I am getting that, except in a couple of instances where it drops to 5.2 or rises to 5.7 - but still good.

I am out of that powder now and I'm looking at changing to whatever I can get (Titegroup at the moment - I have 4 lbs). Problem is, the range for the charge is very small (4.5 - 4.8). With the variances I've experienced, I am afraid to use it. My thought was to get something with a larger range (Accurate 2 or 5) so I have a "cushion", but then I thought - what if it is ME, not the press causing the variances? As you can imagine with all the issues I have I am even more reluctant to change anything to do another caliber, even though I have everything to load 45acp and .223.

Maybe I'm just being paranoid, perhaps not paranoid enough. I've loaded and shot thousands of rounds with only a couple duds (no powder), and no gun explosions. So I've been successful, but just feel it should not be as difficult as it has been to crank out the rounds with less concern, and certainly to change calibers so I can get my money's worth out of the press.

I have loaded about 20,000 9mm with TG on a dillon 650 and get only a +/- .1g

Check your set up

Are you keeping the blue wing nut so the spring is 50% or more compressed when in the primer stroke.
Try polishing the funnel and powder bars.
Keep your powder dry

I'm not using a 650, but I do reload 9mm with Berry 115gr RN, and titegroup. They are only my plinking rounds, but when I do the quality check as long as its 4.2-4.4 it's good to go. The book says 4.4 max, but I haven't seen any pressure sign at all, even at the 4.4. The powder is definitely prone to "stickiness". I have been using the Lee charge bar on a turret press.

First of all, make certain that the interior of your powder measure has been thoroughly rubbed down with
a dryer conditioner sheet ... this to assure that powder doesn't "cling" as it is being thrown.

Also, use of a baffle in your powder measure as well as keeping it at least 1/2 full can go a long way in eliminating inconsistencies.

The Lee Adjustable Charge Bar does not do well with some powders OR light charges. Lee makes a disk for light loads that may be a better choice.
This is because of the shape of the adjustable bar's charging cavity. Look at it and you will see what I mean; it's shaped like a "smile"
each side of the "smile" can be a problem for some powders, especially with a small charge .... the creases in the "smile" may / may not fill due
to bridging on some powders.

I have loaded about 20,000 9mm with TG on a dillon 650 and get only a +/- .1g

Check your set up

Are you keeping the blue wing nut so the spring is 50% or more compressed when in the primer stroke.
Try polishing the funnel and powder bars.
Keep your powder dry

I'll check the spring tension.
I have cleaned the funnel and powder bars, but not polished them - do you mean polish (i.e. Dremel) or wipe them with a solvent and/or lubricant?
I'm thinking I'll also use the dryer sheet recommendation to prevent static cling.
I've tightened the baseplate to reduce some of the variation in COL. That has worked pretty well. That device from uniquetech looks OK, but I think I can handle it with regular maintenance.

Do you guys clean the powder reservoir in between powder changes, or more often than that, or what?
Does changing the crimp impact COL? I'm having zero issues with feeding in any of my guns, so I'm guessing the crimp is OK.

I'll check the spring tension.
I have cleaned the funnel and powder bars, but not polished them - do you mean polish (i.e. Dremel) or wipe them with a solvent and/or lubricant?
I'm thinking I'll also use the dryer sheet recommendation to prevent static cling.
I've tightened the baseplate to reduce some of the variation in COL. That has worked pretty well. That device from uniquetech looks OK, but I think I can handle it with regular maintenance.

Do you guys clean the powder reservoir in between powder changes, or more often than that, or what?
Does changing the crimp impact COL? I'm having zero issues with feeding in any of my guns, so I'm guessing the crimp is OK.

Polish with a dremel (check youtube) dryer sheet should work as well

If you are get OAL changes make sure you have your base plate as tight as you can and it still rotate freely

I have been through at least 80,000 rounds (45, 308, 300 blk, 9mm, and 357 with never more than a .2g diff and that's throwing powders like unique, RL15, Varget, and Trailboss

good luck with working it out. PS the powder measures get better with use

Back
Top Bottom