Loading precision rifle ammo on progressive press

Status
Not open for further replies.

handloader

Default rank <3000 posts
ODT Junkie!
111   0
Reaction score
Has anyone tried loading high quality rifle ammunition on a Hornady LNL press with pre-prepped brass? If so how did it compare to ammunition loaded on a single stage. I won't be weighing the charges, but I will only be shooting out to 250 yards. Using 168 grain pills in Federal Premium .308 brass. If it works well I may use it at longer ranges when I get the chance after hunting season.

if you prep the brass first then it works pretty darn well.. I use a Dillon 550 but should be no different.. use a good benchrest type seating die

If your load is in a pressure sweet spot you won't see a difference. If you are on the fringe of a node prepare for frustration. 250 yd shouldn't be terrible though. What prep did you do to the brass.

Precision loads should be watched very carefully, and check OAL after loading each round with a dial/digital caliper, trimmed case lengths check each one also with caliper. Yes it is time consuming but the finished product is usually well worth the time spent.

We agree with "CHUCKDOG"..

Since this brass has drilled flash holes I will weigh and seperate the brass.Trim, chamfer, and deburr. I doubt that I will trim the necks, but I will use a seating die with a bullet guide. If using an autoloader I will lightly crimp. Chuckdog, that is how I normally feel about assembling my precision loads especially thru a bolt gun. I just was wondering if anyone has had surprising results one way or the other. Thanks to all for your input.

sort of depends on the quantity of ammo you might need and the discipline

if you are shooting a service rifle you'll be loading on a progressive.

benchrest /hunting rounds .. not so much

Most all Military National match ammo is loaded on a progressive..new brass but .

personally all my development loads and hunting rounds are loaded on a single stage..

when I shot competition High power and Bullseye I used a progressive... just too many rounds to do it on a single stage.

Given the diversity of the responses I think the only thing to do is load them up and compare targets. By the way I was not looking for anyone just slamming the pratice of using progressive machines. I was looking for someone who had actually tried it to give their results. Does everything have to turn into a glock vs. 1911 argument or Ford vs. Chevy here? We should look to learn from one another and no be so hasty to be critical. We are under attack from the outside, why knife each other from every other angle. It is easy to be a keyboard commando, but it is better to be a teacher or mentor to those who would like to enter the world of shooting sports.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom