• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Loading with cast bullets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tinyrebel

Default rank <500 posts
Survivalist
28   0
Reaction score
Can someone please explain to me or give me link to read up on why when loading rifle bullets with a gas check must you keep it under 2000 fps? Enlighten me please? I have heard this ever since I can remember and can't seem to find the answer.

Actually you need the gas check over 2000 not under. provides a solid base that won't deform under the pressure which should help with accuracy and reduce blow by.
The cast I load is pretty hard , not for hunting, and are for pistol so no worries about needing a gas check.

Im not using for hunting either. Just plinking. I also load cast for pistol and dont have the need to gas check those either. So there is no other reason for keeping lead under 2000? As long as a gas check is used there is no other issues at the faster speeds?

Just reading some old-time Gun Digest reloading articles, and they talk about this a lot.

According to those, as you increase speed (via more or longer pressure) you expose the lead base to higher temps for longer durations, resulting in partial melting of the bullet. The gas-check will help raise that temp some by insulating the base, but not 100%

As a few folks mentioned, you can compensate by using a harder lead alloy, but that only works up to a point as well. At some point you just have to start using jacketed bullets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom