• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Loading your own rifle ammo.

Depends on the cartridge... .223 I sometimes question, but .308, .30-06, 6 and 6.5 Creedmoor, .300 WM, .300 Norma and .338 Lapua, it's worth the effort for me.

I've been chasing ways to save time, and the best so far is setting up my Dillon 650 to run rifle rounds, but using hand weighed charges. My last item to upgrade is a scale, probably an A&D with an auto trickler. Right now with a Chargemaster, I'm at about an hour to prime, dump powder and seat a bullet for 100 rounds. I also have given up on about all brass prep aside from annealing and then using a good sizing die.

I have 2 single stage presses set up next to each other that I use for large caliber rifle loads. (Larger than 308win). I use an RCBS powder dispenser to keep the loads accurate and fairly fast.

Pistol, 223, and 308 is tackled with a progressive press.

It goes faster with whiskey. At least that’s what I hear.
Absinthe makes the task less burdensome, or at least I forget how long it takes. I load 8mm Mauser, 7.62X54 R (lead), 303 INCH, 30/40 Krag, 7mm Mauser, 6.5 Jap, 7.7 Jap, 38-40 WIN, etc., etc. That's where you 'save' money.

Handloading for accuracy? .308 WIN, .223 REM, 30-06, etc., saves money and allows you to be as anal retentive as you like about your components, process, weights, etc. I find it's worth it.

Prep your brass, then load single stage for bolt action or on a turret for semiauto use. A Frankfort Arsenal case prep center with trimmer literally cuts the time in half. Throwing charges is an art, but once you learn to manipulate the handle the same way every time it is plenty accurate.

Think of it as money saving & therapy. Maybe get someone to help & teach them.
I don’t like to reload alone. It was something that I did with my dad and that made it quality time. All 3 of my kids began helping at early ages and sometimes the wife will assist.

Back
Top Bottom