Local creeks to fish?

crippen

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
132   0
Reaction score
My six year old says he wants to do some "creek fishing". Any of you guys know any good places we can wade off into and wet a hook within 30 minutes or so of the Tucker Stone Mountain area? I drive over Sope creek on Paper Mill all the time for work and looks about the right size but I don't know if there are any fish to be caught. I'm not looking for trout, warm water fish are fine and don't want to drive all the way to North Ga for the little half day or less adventures we sneak away for. Just want to get waist deep in some moving water out in the woods with my son where we are not surrounded by 3,000 people. That's not asking to much in metro Atlanta is it? LOL

Any ideas?

I would not let my kids play in any creek in the greater Atlanta area. You can Google about Atlanta's water quality issues. Much of the surrounding area has the same issues.

I second the Google Maps suggestion. It's amazing to see what is right around the corner from you. And in some cases you can actually identify cool water refuges by seeing the color difference of a creek as it dumps into a resevoir. Those are prime areas to fish.

Try calling DNR and see if they can offer any ideas.
A lot of the seasonal trout streams have abundant sunfish and red eye bass in them. We have just as much fun catching them as we do the trout.

Back
Top Bottom