• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

long range hunting bullets

Maybe it's a three shot "group".

At 750 yards, 1/4 MOA is quite a feat.

But then I had a former Marine telling me the other night about shooting quarters at 500 yards with open sights. How the armorers wouldn't issue rifles to his group unless they could put every shot on a quarter at 500 yards. He said this with a straight face, mind you.

Clearly I am doing something wrong. Everyone else seems to be able to shoot so much better than me. : )

Last edited:
1/4 min at any range is tough to do as a shooter. Take the man out of the equation and lock it down like unlimited f class. Lol. You need 1/4 min to compete.

As for the bullets, Berger will make a better bullet. You pay for it though. People seem to talk highly of Barnes ttsx and their lrx lines as well.

Why such a light bullet in a 300wsm? I didnt see where you mentioned what you plan on hunting but i think a 180gr would give you a larger range of utility, my vote would go for the 180gr accubond. Its a high BC round that is bonded and holds up well. Not as likely to fragment and waste a lot of meat. My 2 cents anyway.

Seeing how the NRA F-class targets X-ring at 300 yds is 1.42 in. , 500 yds is 2.50 in. and 3.0 at 600.
Ammo is a critical component in being able to compete and win .
Everything is weighed within 1/0 th and 1/100 ths of a grain
All cases are weighed and sorted within 3/10 th's , and it takes a lot of brass to be able to load in 100 rds per match.
Cases are the trimmed to length within .005
I turn all the necks, then neck size with a Redding bushing die for a uniform tension that is .002 smaller than a loaded rd.
Primer pockets uniformed
Powder is weighed within 1/100 of a grain ( 1 kernel) on the AND FX120i scale
Each bullet is seated and measured @ the ogive , not the TIP. I use Redding and Forester dies with a micrometer seaters so I can seat a round, then back it off a few thousandths and seat another round then adjust for my desired length of 3/1000 ths. off the lands. This is repeated for every round.
After being fired 1X, just neck size. All my match rounds are fired 1 time before a match
Re-anneal after 3 firings

Last edited:
what is the tolerance on the scale you're using to weight them? that very well could be half of your issue right there............

Back
Top Bottom