• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Looking to buy my first handgun

sepollard

Default rank <5 posts
New to The Trader!
1   0
Reaction score
Hope this is appropriate for this forum.

I want to spend at most $5-600 and am looking for advice. I want the gun for home protection and do not intend to carry it often, if ever. I have, in the past year, shot a Glock .40 S&W (23 I believe) and a Kimber 1911 .45 ACP (no idea which model, it was very nice).

Some of my thoughts:

I did not like the recoil of the Glock 23 and I assume this happened because the gun was so light.

I want at least a .40 cal if a semi-auto. If this is the gun I am going to go for when I need it I want it to fire every time. I am not dead set on a semi-auto and would consider a .357 revolver.

I am thinking I will buy something used since I can get more gun for the money.

Questions:

If I am looking for something that is VERY reliable should I rule out the "cheaper" 1911s?

I am quite sure not all of the gun makers I should consider are on my radar. I like the way the Kimber 1911 looks and feels, but it is probably out of my price range at the moment. I know S&W is a reputable name. I have no idea about the reputations of Taurus, Springfield Armory, Ruger, Sig, etc. Others I should consider?

Where is the best place to buy? A gun show? The classifieds of this site?

Do you think I should shoot the gun or is holding and inspecting enough?

General thoughts/suggestions on specific models/calibers from experienced gun owners?

Thanks in advance for your help. I hope to buy more guns in the future as I can afford it.

Go to a gun range and try out a glock 17 or 19. Less recoil, holds more rounds and with with right hollow point it can do everything the 40 can. You should be able to fetch a used one for $350-400.

Go to a good range.
Rent and shoot all the guns you are interested in.
By a new 1 from them or look around for a used 1.

Go to a gun range and try out a glock 17 or 19. Less recoil, holds more rounds and with with right hollow point it can do everything the 40 can. You should be able to fetch a used one for $350-400.

x's 2, I would go with a Glock first, maybe springfield armory second. Have owned both, currently own a Glock17, both are very dependable. Don't shy away from 9mm, there are self defense 9mm that will do everything you want them to.If you're not looking for a concealed carry gun I would get the glock 17. Ed's public safety in Stockbridge ( a little south of you) should have some good deals on trade ins

Last edited:
With modern 9mm ammunition, there is no need for a .40. I have an m&p .40 because I can grip it better than the glock 23, but ymmv. If it's your first handgun, no offense but I bet most of the issue is shooter error, and not all the gun. My g23 recoiled fairly hard, but once I learned to grip it better I was able to get follow up shots much faster, and even able to dump mags while point shooting in a 6" diameter. But at the same time, if you're an inexperienced shooter, .40 shooters tend to have a bad flinch reaction which causes their shots to be pulled off, most poly guns are gonna have noticeable recoil, and eventually what will happen when shooting .40 if you're not properly trained is you'll flinch your wrist as the your shot breaks..

Here's a couple groupings with the 23
kbr61x.jpg

Lot to be improved, but still a fist sized grouping, but speed is key.

28l3y2h.jpg

This is "minute of badguy" shooting 15 rounds as fast as possible, could tighten up, but about a 6" grouping at 3 yards, done with no sights (simulation of an attacker gaining distance on you with a knife or other weapon, and sights aren't feasible. Had to develop my npoa with it.

Can't locate one of my groupings from my 19, fist sized magazine dumps ;)

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I guess my first step is going to a range and trying the Glock 17 and comparing to other 9mm and .40s they have. Is there significant difference in Glock vs. SW M&P line or is it mostly personal preference?

If I am looking for something that is VERY reliable should I rule out the "cheaper" 1911s?
Absolutely not. Taurus and Rock Island Armory both make fine 1911's....granted you'll take a hit on fit and finish and "brand envy," but as a weapon, they have both functioned flawlessly for me over hundreds of thousands of rounds.

I am quite sure not all of the gun makers I should consider are on my radar. I like the way the Kimber 1911 looks and feels, but it is probably out of my price range at the moment. I know S&W is a reputable name. I have no idea about the reputations of Taurus, Springfield Armory, Ruger, Sig, etc. Others I should consider?
Glock, for sure and I said above, Rock Island Armory. I'd stay away from Taurus autos that aren't 1911 or M92 copies. But that's just my preference.

Where is the best place to buy? A gun show? The classifieds of this site?
I'd go to a range, rent a slew and decide what you like, then buy it wherever you can find the best price. Assuming you're in Buckhead as in Atlanta, there are tons of options all around. I'd recommend GA firing line in Marietta. great people, great prices. Now if you're in Buckhead, GA out east of ATL on 20? You're on your own :lol:

Do you think I should shoot the gun or is holding and inspecting enough?
No question...definitely shoot it. You'll need to feel recoil...grip is important for sure, but you need to know if you can handle the weapon during use.

General thoughts/suggestions on specific models/calibers from experienced gun owners?
Keep in mind that everyone has an opinion on this but for the price point you are talking and for a pure home defense gun, I'd pick up a Glock 21 and a TLR1 and call it a day.

Thanks in advance for your help. I hope to buy more guns in the future as I can afford it.
You're welcome...and, welcome to the ODT! :thumb:

First of all, go to a range with rentals and try out the ones you like and are comfortable with. Don't get so caught up in the caliber. Find the one you are the most comfortable shooting. Who cares if you have a .45 but can't hit anything with it?

To answer your first question: Don't fear the cheaper 1911's. I have two of the cheaper ones made. The Rock Island Armory (RIA) compact is my every day carry firearm. I also have a Taurus 1911 that has never had an issue.

I found my RIA at a gun show for $399 brand new. At the time the cheapest I had found them online was $389. I have not found one on the ODT for that amount or less. But if you shop at a gun show, go over every table to find the best deals. If you decide to order online you can have it shipped to Cherokee Gun & Pawn in Canton and get the transfer for free. Some shops charge $40. In fact, Cherokee may have what you are looking for cheaper than what you can find it online.

Good luck and welcome to the ODT!

Thanks for the replies. I guess my first step is going to a range and trying the Glock 17 and comparing to other 9mm and .40s they have. Is there significant difference in Glock vs. SW M&P line or is it mostly personal preference?
SW M&P has a grip safety, Glocks don't.....also have a higher bore axis than glocks. Past that its personal preference.

Back
Top Bottom