• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Looking to buy my first handgun

I agree ^ the gen 4s recoil is greatly reduced with the new guide rod spring, not to mention they arent plastic anymore! all metal guide rod, much longer service life..In the end, i would say shoot what is comfortable to you. try some different guns out, and whichever feels best in your hands. Im not a fan of the springfields due to the grip safety...I really dont prefer safteys because it tends to make people shy away from really checking a firearm each time they pick one up.

Went to the gun show and looked at pistols for about an hour and a half. I came away liking the XD better than anything else. It felt better in my hand, but now I need to shoot it and figure out which caliber. I especially like the XD-M compact because you have the extension option to have a full size grip. It feels ergonomically superior, but it is more expensive too. And, not a fan of the safety on the grip, but I think I will see how that plays out at the range. The Glocks feel too blocky in my hand compared to XD and M&P. I will definitely still shoot one though and see.

Also getting a Mossberg Maverick 88. Seems like a great buy for under $200 and it reviewed well.

Thanks again,

Scott

My experience with handguns is limited to the Glock 22, Ruger LC9 and Bersa Thunder .380 that I have owned. So let me add my $.02 about what I do know a little about, price. You made a comment that you wanted to buy new because you could get more gun for your money. That is not necessarily true, especially here on ODT. GA Firing Line and Adventure Outdoors are my two favorite places in Cobb County to buy guns. So if it is "Buckhead" Atlanta that you live in, you should take a look. GA Firing Line is super. They do have a range and they do rent guns. ADV OUT does not rent guns, I don't believe. But wherever you go you might be best served going on a weekday. They will be much less busy and will be more patient with you. And if you don't have much experience with guns you should ask tons of questions. Now if you are dead set on buying "used" there is no better place in Georgia to buy than ODT.

You need to go to the range to find the right one for you. However one that I did not see mentioned that I highly reccomend is the Beretta 92fs. Its accurate, low recoil, reliable, 15+1rnds, and has a safety decocker. Thats what I keep with a Mossberg 500m right next to it so I have my choice depending on the situation.

Semi-auto hand guns are dangerous for the first time gun owner, unless you had proper handling and training on THAT particur semi-auto, and become comfortable to handle. The danger is in knowing when you remove the clip and you also make 100% sure a round is not left in the chamber. Some of the newer semi-autos have indicators that let you know that there is definitely one left in the chamber. It is all about gun safety!One of my favorites is a Ruger P90 .45. .

My first gun was a .45, afterwards I wanted something smaller to carry. I found that a .38 or a snub nose .38 was the perfect carry gun ...."for me". I also love shooting this gun at the range. For a cheap gun, I really like....is made by EAA, and typically runs $250-350.00. S & W makes some great guns as well as many others!

My advice is to attend afew gun shows, put some in your hand and fell the grip, the comfort, and the balance in your hand. The more mass of gun in your hand....the smaller calibur, in most cases the less re-coil. It all comes down to comfort price and what your intent is.

Just remember that self protection is all about training, practice and most of all accuracy in placing the shot!

Back
Top Bottom