• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info
if it were me, i'd start now, make notes of what you dont see, and keep at it as rut comes on so you know how things change.

as far other hunters, i just dont go in where someone else is parked. i mean within a mile or so of there.

if it were me, i'd start now, make notes of what you dont see, and keep at it as rut comes on so you know how things change.

as far other hunters, i just dont go in where someone else is parked. i mean within a mile or so of there.
Great advice.
I'll probably drive in and scout the main road. Ensure there are no cars anywhere near the foot path entrance i choose. Then follow the path back in, and get off it and dive in head/boot first. Any advice on things to look for when using google earth to look for spots? Power line alleys? Streams/ponds? open spaces? Thanks!

Just a word of advice, I would stay out of the woods right now as the bow hunters are already out and you can easily ruin their areas. Gun season starts Oct 21 and what ever you do, don't go exploring as that is a dangerous time with new hunters in the woods. Also, ticks, chiggers, and snakes are still out in full force just to add another level a misery. I'm still itching chigger bites from over a week ago.

I agree with everyones comments so far. I use a 30-30 and .308 for hunting. I bought a .308 because it is very easy to find ammo in all different grains for killing different game. My 30-30 is my go-to though. The woods can be very dangerous. I would recommend having a first aid kit in your pack.(as well as some other things) You can look up on youtube what guys keep in their packs. If you go on public land, PLEASE cover yourself in orange. Same goes for private. People are crazy and will shoot at anything that moves.(could be you) Not trying to scare you but I'm telling you the truth. Safety comes first in the woods.

Reflections for you from my own learning to hunt journey.

1) An experienced hunter (an elmer) to help teach you is worth everything. Rather than a one-time expensive guided hunting trip what about looking into joining a private club? Well run clubs (look for low member-to-acres ratios and reasonable rules) will probably have members happy to help you out. Especially if you're willing to help with the labor to keep a club up. It can be a lot of work.

2) I 2nd everything said above about calibers, WMAs, and exploring. WMAs are a dangerous place to be during the beginning of the season.

3) Since you're already interested in .308 look at the Ruger American and put a decent scope on it. I got a Nikon Buckmaster and a box of good hunting ammo (do NOT be cheap on ammo, it counts more than caliber) and was ready to hunt for <$500. Another way to go would be a different caliber upper for your AR like maybe 300 BO or 6.8 or whatever you want. 300 BO has a slight edge that you don't have to change magazines but many people will tell you it's also borderline for hunting. I'm 99% sure the difference between the 300 BO lovers and haters is whether they used good ammo.

4) A good friend once told me, "hunting is what you do in the off season. Then during the season all you're really doing is harvesting." I couldn't agree more. For my first few seasons I was in a club with well scouted land and good stand placements. All I had to do was go out and do my part not to scare them off (scent control x1000) and make a clean shot. Since then I've moved to my own private land and despite loads of deer here I've yet to take one due to poor scouting on my part. This year I've got an elmer showing me how to scout and I think my odds are way higher.

5) I hate to say this, but it's really too late to start in Georgia--at least the scouting part is. Definitely go ahead and get your class and license and all that taken care and you can still go out but you'll be shooting "blind" on where to go unless you can meet up with someone. That said, my private land is in Alabama where the hunting season starts and ends a month later. If you're interested, and you get your safety class squared away, I'd be open to you coming out here and scout with us so you can see what to look for.

Great advice.
I'll probably drive in and scout the main road. Ensure there are no cars anywhere near the foot path entrance i choose. Then follow the path back in, and get off it and dive in head/boot first. Any advice on things to look for when using google earth to look for spots? Power line alleys? Streams/ponds? open spaces? Thanks!

Look for hardwood bottoms. They are very easy to see on google earth. The bucks will be in the bottoms for most of hunting season.

What's your budget for hunting?
I'm not exactly sure, but i'm going for a "Put the money where it counts. Need quality, but not luxury." I'd like to not over spend. I dont need the most expensive customized rifle or newest camo clothes. But i want quality gear that will last and do the job, as it seems that this pursuit will take a while to get down.

For instance, was looking at the mossberg patriot as a .308 rifle after seeing great reviews on it in the more budget friendly category. Maybe even a Tika. My AR15 for instance has parts from BCM/Aero Precision/Midwest industries. All quality parts, but not the Daniel Defense LMT or anything.

Reflections for you from my own learning to hunt journey.

1) An experienced hunter (an elmer) to help teach you is worth everything. Rather than a one-time expensive guided hunting trip what about looking into joining a private club? Well run clubs (look for low member-to-acres ratios and reasonable rules) will probably have members happy to help you out. Especially if you're willing to help with the labor to keep a club up. It can be a lot of work.

2) I 2nd everything said above about calibers, WMAs, and exploring. WMAs are a dangerous place to be during the beginning of the season.

3) Since you're already interested in .308 look at the Ruger American and put a decent scope on it. I got a Nikon Buckmaster and a box of good hunting ammo (do NOT be cheap on ammo, it counts more than caliber) and was ready to hunt for <$500. Another way to go would be a different caliber upper for your AR like maybe 300 BO or 6.8 or whatever you want. 300 BO has a slight edge that you don't have to change magazines but many people will tell you it's also borderline for hunting. I'm 99% sure the difference between the 300 BO lovers and haters is whether they used good ammo.

4) A good friend once told me, "hunting is what you do in the off season. Then during the season all you're really doing is harvesting." I couldn't agree more. For my first few seasons I was in a club with well scouted land and good stand placements. All I had to do was go out and do my part not to scare them off (scent control x1000) and make a clean shot. Since then I've moved to my own private land and despite loads of deer here I've yet to take one due to poor scouting on my part. This year I've got an elmer showing me how to scout and I think my odds are way higher.

5) I hate to say this, but it's really too late to start in Georgia--at least the scouting part is. Definitely go ahead and get your class and license and all that taken care and you can still go out but you'll be shooting "blind" on where to go unless you can meet up with someone. That said, my private land is in Alabama where the hunting season starts and ends a month later. If you're interested, and you get your safety class squared away, I'd be open to you coming out here and scout with us so you can see what to look for.

It probably is too late to get a successful hunt in. But if i could just use the active time in season to get some good notes in, and a few failures and learning experiences i think that would be good.

Noted on the private land/club. definitely something i'll look into. But i wasnt sure if that is something i should do when starting, or only after i've become more experienced. I didnt want to be in over my head going in on something like that when i dont know what i'm doing yet, but maybe being around other members is the best way. Not sure how to search for one or what prices go for.

Thanks for reinforcing the safety tips. I have an "EDC" first aid kit i keep in my backpack and car. I'll take that with me along with other things more suitable for time in the woods. Also, i'll be covered in orange and look to avoid other cars. I have a place i've gone for sighting in my rifle in some national forest land. i've never seen anyone out where my spot was, and once saw a doe cross the path about 50 yards ahead of me. I figured maybe i'll start looking there and just see if i can pick up on any signs. that would be a victory for me at this point

I'd love to get some experience if you'd be an "Elmer". Maybe we can arrange something. I'm very active as far as fitness and sports, and very able to help with anything required just so i can get in and absorb any lessons.

If you plan to check out public land, do so during the weekdays if possible, or wait until archery season closes and then scout prior to their next hunt. WMA's are not as crowded during the week. You could probably find a spot or two to focus on when they open back up for the firearms hunts. Wear a lot of Blaze orange as mentioned above and stay in late, as departing hunters may bump some deer on you.

300 BO is plenty for deer. No need to get another rifle, just get a 300 upper and you are good to go.

Do you have any marketable skills a farm might need? Tractor or equipment maintenance and repair. Fence building and repair. Bush hogging/hay cutting and stacking, or planting and field maintenance. Horse training and maintenance/barn maintenance.

The best hunting is on private land. Large tracts of private land hire folks to help with the work. One fringe benefit is access to hunting when the owner will not allow strangers on his property.

Lots of farm help wanted ads in the Market Bulletin.

Something to think about.

Back
Top Bottom