• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Looking to trade Glock 26 for (??)

Carrying concealed is not the most comfortable thing in the world. I've been doing it for over 20 years and still don't like it. I've tried the latest and greatest of most everything and it just isn't comfortable having a brick of metal IWB no matter what I try.. I've tried the pocket guns but a true pocket gun isn't the best defense and is more than a compromise, IMO. It got to the point where I was carrying a pocket pistol all the time because it was too convenient and I lost sight of the reason I carry in the first place...So I got rid of all of my pocket rockets except for a J frame .38 I carry when I absolutely cannot carry anything else...And no, I am not advising you to get a J frame revolver unless you shoot it well and carry it comfortably, but I digress...In the end I decided I'm not going to stop carrying the maximum firepower that I can live with so I have learned to live with being uncomfortable. The difference in a single stack and double stack may not sound like much on paper, but in terms of comfort it is a huge difference. For me, it is still too much of a compromise so I continue to carry a double stack, but for you it may be fine, so yes, go with a single stack like a G42 or G43, but keep in mind there are also other good single stacks out there besides Glock. The advice to try some rentals is good advice. Check them out thoroughly, from the grip, to how good you shoot them, to the mag release, to the options of safety, etc but especially how well you will be able to carry it comfortably all day, everyday. And the gun will only be half the battle. Your belt(s) + holster can also make a world of difference. Not to mention the clothes you wear. All must be taken into consideration . Good luck.

Carrying concealed is not the most comfortable thing in the world. I've been doing it for over 20 years and still don't like it. I've tried the latest and greatest of most everything and it just isn't comfortable having a brick of metal IWB no matter what I try.. I've tried the pocket guns but a true pocket gun isn't the best defense and is more than a compromise, IMO. It got to the point where I was carrying a pocket pistol all the time because it was too convenient and I lost sight of the reason I carry in the first place...So I got rid of all of my pocket rockets except for a J frame .38 I carry when I absolutely cannot carry anything else...And no, I am not advising you to get a J frame revolver unless you shoot it well and carry it comfortably, but I digress...In the end I decided I'm not going to stop carrying the maximum firepower that I can live with so I have learned to live with being uncomfortable. The difference in a single stack and double stack may not sound like much on paper, but in terms of comfort it is a huge difference. For me, it is still too much of a compromise so I continue to carry a double stack, but for you it may be fine, so yes, go with a single stack like a G42 or G43, but keep in mind there are also other good single stacks out there besides Glock. The advice to try some rentals is good advice. Check them out thoroughly, from the grip, to how good you shoot them, to the mag release, to the options of safety, etc but especially how well you will be able to carry it comfortably all day, everyday. And the gun will only be half the battle. Your belt(s) + holster can also make a world of difference. Not to mention the clothes you wear. All must be taken into consideration . Good luck.

Just curious...what rig and position do you carry?

Just curious...what rig and position do you carry?

Don't ask...Seriously, I have shifted around so much my opinion is as confused as a newbie...I believe in being able to draw fast, and if possible, as discreet as possible. I have carried at the 1-2 o' clock position for a long time, but am experimenting at the 4 o'clock position, a position I don't recall ever putting any real effort into before...So far I like it pretty good, especially for indiscretion and because it isn't pointed at a major artery or my cash and prizes. It also isn't on my hip bone and is about as comfortable as anywhere I have tried.

Rigs? Ha...I have neglected many of the rigs available but have tried quite a few and like the Desantis Softuk OK, but I don't like the belt clip. I don't like clips, period, but I don't like IWB either, so my opinions are going to be cloudy at best. I have tried Alien gear, Galco, etc so I'm not oblivious to what's out there...I like comfort combined with quickness...Whatever works. If I have to choose between comfort and quickness, I choose quickness.

My advice can only cover what to expect, definitely not which brands/models to go with...Sorry I can't be of more help. I don't like IWB carry, even though I believe in it and do it. Stuffing a gun in my pants is not natural to me.

Don't ask...Seriously, I have shifted around so much my opinion is as confused as a newbie...I believe in being able to draw fast, and if possible, as discreet as possible. I have carried at the 1-2 o' clock position for a long time, but am experimenting at the 4 o'clock position, a position I don't recall ever putting any real effort into before...So far I like it pretty good, especially for indiscretion and because it isn't pointed at a major artery or my cash and prizes. It also isn't on my hip bone and is about as comfortable as anywhere I have tried.

Rigs? Ha...I have neglected many of the rigs available but have tried quite a few and like the Desantis Softuk OK, but I don't like the belt clip. I don't like clips, period, but I don't like IWB either, so my opinions are going to be cloudy at best. I have tried Alien gear, Galco, etc so I'm not oblivious to what's out there...I like comfort combined with quickness...Whatever works. If I have to choose between comfort and quickness, I choose quickness.

My advice can only cover what to expect, definitely not which brands/models to go with...Sorry I can't be of more help. I don't like IWB carry, even though I believe in it and do it. Stuffing a gun in my pants is not natural to me.

Yeah, it can be a journey finding what works best for each person individually. What works great for some sucks for others and vice versa.

What position do ya carry in? Strongside hip? Behind the hip? Appendix? Or? Position of carry plays part in concealmemt as well based on your body shape.
I carry appendix or the small of my back. Very rarely do I carry on my hip. I'm a hairstylist so those are the 2 places I can hide it the best. I do have a thigh holster as well too

The .380's seem to be pretty good for a lot of women. My wife carries a Kimber Micro 380 and loves it.
The Ruger LCP is easily concealed. I have one and like it as well.

The above (as well as others) offer excellent defense. But if you need "offense," then that's another story :)
I prefer a 9mm, I'm more comfortable with shooting it than a .380.

Back
Top Bottom