Los Angeles to purchase all public school children an Apple Ipad

when the electricity goes out and they're battery is dying how will they do their homework, and what will stop the kids or parents from selling the ipads elsewhere(unless they out an expensive gps chip in every ipad).

how many of the ipads will be used by many members of the family or as the main computer for an entire household by the poor wearing it out quicker or breaking it

**** that!.....i don't even have an i-pad.........

i would be uber pissed if my school district wanted to use my tax dollars to do that when i cant even afford one for myself....

News flash, tax dollars are meant to be spent on education. Your tax dollars are already being used for textbooks and ridiculously low teacher salaries. I have to admit, I'd be a bit bummed if I were a kid and didn't have a physical textbook to thumb through.

This is only partially true.....the vast majority of textbook manufacturers and publishers are not getting on the e-book train. They have a monopoly and they know it and they see millions of jobs and billions of dollars disappearing when they have to start shutting down printing and binding factories. While everything will eventually be tablet/pc driven....we aren't there yet....and sadly most teachers are so technologically obtuse, they won't be able to use the devices to their benefit.

The outcome of all this will be a colossal failure. iPads sold, stolen, or used for anything other than schoolwork.

Actually many such as Norton are now adopting pretty quickly. They certainly aren't abandoning paper books, but the trend we be toward more, not less digital learning materials.

News flash, tax dollars are meant to be spent on education. Your tax dollars are already being used for textbooks and ridiculously low teacher salaries. I have to admit, I'd be a bit bummed if I were a kid and didn't have a physical textbook to thumb through.

Yes, education, and I didn't need an i-pad to get mine.

Books will last longer than an i-pad will.

Yes, education, and I didn't need an i-pad to get mine.

Books will last longer than an i-pad will.

Many of the books are out of date very quickly though as well. The digital copy could just simply be updated.

And yeah, I didn't need a computer when I was a kid, but kids now do.

The idea of using tablets to replace computers is a good idea.

Using iPads is what I disagree with. Seems like there could be a good market for someone to design something specifically for that role. But iPads are relatively fragile and expensive.

A tablet designed for the sole purpose of replacing textbooks would be a better idea or at a minimum a less expensive tablet with a sturdy case that cannot be removed.

Furthermore who is responsible for the replacement of these when poor families "lose" them does anyone really think they are going to shell out 500+ for lost ones?

Many of the books are out of date very quickly though as well. The digital copy could just simply be updated.

There is nothing that will convince me that kids NEED these. I guess the next step will be for the LAUSD to pay for their internet service as well so they will be able to receive updates and submit their work and such from home.

Subject matter doesn't change very often until you get to the college level.

I didn't realize that physics,math, and history changed that often

I think Peach Co. has started using tablets at the high school level. Not iPads, they went with something windows based for compatible reasons. Haven't heard how the project is working out, but seems like they started with them last year.

Nick T

I don't see where it says students will be taking them home. I can only imagine they get used at school only. Please tell me not even California is THAT stupid to let iPads go home with these kids.

Back
Top Bottom