• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Love seeing kids at the range!

PewPewChris

Default rank <2000 posts
SpaceWrangler
2   0
Reaction score
I was up at Governor's in Kennesaw today getting a little more time with the Mark IV prior to next weekend's steel challenge and there was a father and daughter shooting beside me. We didn't speak while shooting other than a "thumbs up" from me the first time his daughter took a turn with his AR-15 as he watched proudly.

It never fails that after shooting it, someone will ask me about the Mark IV. It's literally happened every single time I've taken it to the range. The father and daughter were still in the lobby and he came up and asked me about it. His daughter really liked it and how quiet it was. I told him I wished my boys would take more interest in shooting and he said his daughter was 13 and just showing some interest in firearms. A 13 year old girl getting into the sport of shooting, a great thing for our community!

I walked away with a smile on my face from an hour of pew pew therapy and seeing that father and daughter doing and enjoying the same!

Hoping my boys will show more interest, but not forcing it on either of them.

From oodles of experience....

Almost all kids have very little interest in target shooting paper.
They’re not much interested in seeing if they can shoot a tighter group than their Dad or Grandpa.
What gets their attention is any reactive target, something that moves, something that dings, something that does something else when hit.
Even shooting clays laid around the range will suck them in.
JMHO

I started my daughter at ten years old shooting. On her 20th birthday mom and I ask her what she wanted a party or a sleep over with her girl friends and she said these words "no I want to go shooting with daddy." I am a proud papa.

She is deadly with a 45 caliber pistol

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    36.8 KB · Views: 36
From oodles of experience....

Almost all kids have very little interest in target shooting paper.
They’re not much interested in seeing if they can shoot a tighter group than their Dad or Grandpa.
What gets their attention is any reactive target, something that moves, something that dings, something that does something else when hit.
Even shooting clays laid around the range will suck them in.
JMHO

Agreed, looking to join an outdoor gun club for that very reason

I started my daughter at ten years old shooting. On her 20th birthday mom and I ask her what she wanted a party or a sleep over with her girl friends and she said these words "no I want to go shooting with daddy." I am a proud papa.

She is deadly with a 45 caliber pistol

Hell Yeah! That is awesome!

Back
Top Bottom