• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Lower build

It is not hard and there is not much damage you can really do even if you fumble a little. Get a set of brass punches. Some small needle nose and picks can be helpful. A vise and vise block are helpful. A drop-in trigger helps a lot, too. Worst thing you will do is possibly put a couple of scratches on the lower. Use masking tape, a few layers, when hammering in pins to avoid scratches. Good luck. I'm around Savannah so feel free to PM me if you get stuck. I've built a few lowers. The nicer ones are usually better to work with as the machining is more precise. Get a decent LPK (lower parts kit) and an oops kit.

I would avoid using hammer and punches, go buy a cheap pair of vice grips and wrap the tips with tape and use that to push your bolt catch roll pin in. Basically the vice grips act like a press and keep you from swinging a hammer around or having to get punches.

Hey Guys,

I'm in the Savannah area and need to build a lower. I picked up a Larue Ultimate Upper kit and it's assembled. However, the lower is not. I've never actually built one and would hate to practice on this one. I'm very good at demolition but not so good at building.

So my question is this, any suggestions on a local gunsmith or anyone want to have a " build " party ? Have a buddy whose offered but he's been known to pull out a dremel tool with his builds and has screwed up a few. I'd rather not do THAT !!!

So, if anyone has suggestions, send them my way please.

Thanks

Detailed tutorial of everything you need to know here.
https://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/ar15-lower-receiver-assembly-guide.1167622/

It is not hard and there is not much damage you can really do even if you fumble a little. Get a set of brass punches. Some small needle nose and picks can be helpful. A vise and vise block are helpful. A drop-in trigger helps a lot, too. Worst thing you will do is possibly put a couple of scratches on the lower. Use masking tape, a few layers, when hammering in pins to avoid scratches. Good luck. I'm around Savannah so feel free to PM me if you get stuck. I've built a few lowers. The nicer ones are usually better to work with as the machining is more precise. Get a decent LPK (lower parts kit) and an oops kit.
pass on the punches! Buy a pair of knipex pliers
71PlmZzCQzL._AC_UL160_.jpg
tape the jaws with electrical tape. The jaws always stay parallel and you can use your fingers to hold the pin in place while you gently squeeze the pin into the hole.

There is no scratching the receiver or launching the pin into never never land. Why is it never never land? Cause you ain't never never going to find it!

Hey Guys,

I'm in the Savannah area and need to build a lower. I picked up a Larue Ultimate Upper kit and it's assembled. However, the lower is not. I've never actually built one and would hate to practice on this one. I'm very good at demolition but not so good at building.

So my question is this, any suggestions on a local gunsmith or anyone want to have a " build " party ? Have a buddy whose offered but he's been known to pull out a dremel tool with his builds and has screwed up a few. I'd rather not do THAT !!!

So, if anyone has suggestions, send them my way please.

Thanks
I’m in pembroke ga about 30 minutes away i can shoes you how.

Back
Top Bottom