• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Lubing pistol cases

Cobalt 60

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
119   0
Reaction score
I know everyone says not to, but I tried it this weekend, and I am never going back. Big ziplock. Spray inside with just a bit of case lube. Dump in brass and roll it around. Enjoy MUCH easier loading.

I know I will have to clean my dies down the road, but i just don't care. The improvement is worth it.

Anyone else?

I polish the brass, use to use commercial "brass" case cleaner but started using Nu-Finish once a year car polish from ODT recommendations. Mostly I do this to aid function in the press and possibly in the gun. It looks pretty too.

The polished brass runs smoother through the press, perhaps less wear on the dies. I spray lube necked brass, then toss it into the brass cleaner vibratory cleaner with Nu-Finish and crushed walnut hulls to remove the lube residue, then reload or if required trim it prior to reloading.

Carbide dies or not- I still lubed at least some of my pistol brass when resizing. I think I typically ran about one lubed piece for every three or so non-lubed pieces. That was on the old RCBS JR2 single stage.

The new 550 really doesn't need any at all. I just tumble and they go straight into the press (after inspection of course).

I have loaded 10's of thousands of 38 special, 9mm 40, 44 and 45 over the last 40 years and never lubed a single case. I only use carbide dies and have never had a problem with sizing, loading, shooting or ejecting.
Good for you doing it your way, but I'll stick to what has worked for me.

I have loaded 10's of thousands of 38 special, 9mm 40, 44 and 45 over the last 40 years and never lubed a single case. I only use carbide dies and have never had a problem with sizing, loading, shooting or ejecting.
X2....also I would be careful using any wet or spray type lube....it only takes a minute bit to kill a primer.

This is my experience too, but I've only loaded since 1992. The only pistol cases I lube are one in three (like Dial1911) Winchester 38-40 because of the thin necks going into a Lee die. I use RCBS carbide for all other pistol calibers. I do clean them after 500 cases or if I think it's needed.

Back
Top Bottom