• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

M 1 Garand

A while back I became interested in the Garand. Being a sailor I ran across information about a unique series of Garands that were re-barrelled in .308 by the navy as they had surplus of .308 vs 30-06. There had been attempts to add some insert to the 30-06 chamber for .308 but it was considered a failure so the navy commissioned new barrels to be built in .308. The story goes some of these were "tweaked" by the navy armory and were extremely accurate and used by the top navy competition shooters. These rare guns were given as awards to senior level officers upon retirement. Very rare and expensive if you can find one. Further down the rabbit hole I discovered there were a number of the original .308 barrels that were released to the public. I tracked one down based on the serial number that was built on a numbers matching Harrington & Richardson Garand. Kind of special as H&R started production in 1952 the year I was born but more importantly H&R was likely similar to what my Dad carried in the Korean War. Have not fired it yet but love this piece of history and looking forward to shooting it!

Mine's a 1945 Springfield, and if she could cook I'd marry her!!
Whenever someone shoots it for their first time, the smile on their face could be seen from outer space.

Right now she's leaning up in my bedroom with a USGI cloth bandoleer holding 6 loaded clips hanging from the stacking swivel.
And yes, they are clips.

Garands are awesome. To any who decided to acquire and shoot one of these old war horses, make sure you aren't shooting "normal" 30-06 ammo through them. They need special Garand loaded ammo or a gas plug or you risk damaging the op rod.

Garands are awesome. To any who decided to acquire and shoot one of these old war horses, make sure you aren't shooting "normal" 30-06 ammo through them. They need special Garand loaded ammo or a gas plug or you risk damaging the op rod.
We had Ammo mad for it

Just for my own knowledge.if you do use a gas plug can you shoot modern ammo without any other damage?

Old wives tale.
You can shoot any ammo loaded to SAAMI specs with bullet weights of around 172 grains or less.
Even the CMP says so.
I've shot commercial Winchester and Remington soft point 150 grain ammo for years.

Back
Top Bottom