• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

M-25 Tracers 7.62x51

boneboy96

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
516   0
Reaction score
Can these even be loaded and shot anymore? I've got a gallon paint can full of them...922 to be exact. :cool-new: Orange tip. 144 grain

Last edited:
Tracers may be illegal to shoot on some public lands. They're against the rules for every range I've ever been on.
I've used some tracers when I used to shoot in a sand pit and gravel quarry years ago.
20 year old military tracers ( 7.62 and 5.56 mm NATO dated from the 1960s, used in the middle 1980s) were only about 66% reliable for tracing.
More recently, I fired a couple of 1968 military 5.56 mm tracers, and while the rounds went off, the tracers didn't trace. I was shooting at dusk on a 200 yard range and certainly would have seen them trace.

I've used new commercial tracer rounds before. They traced very brightly, but only for a short distance. Probably no more than 200 yards for rifle calibers and only 25 yards for pistol calibers. They were reliable. But they had terribly bright muzzle flash. Not good for your night vision.

Real military tracers are great, but I'd consider them to be unreliable at tracing after about 15 to 20 years. The fresh ones are excellent though, and will stay burning a long time.

P.S. you can set the woods on fire with them. Don't ask me how I know. But I did remember that Smokey Bear says that when idiots with tracers start a forest fire, you stop shooting, drop your gun, run to the fire while it's small, and start stomping it. Then stop drop and roll around to smother it. During which time you find the 500-degree hollow tracer bullet itself, which just finished its phosphorous burn a few seconds ago, and that hunk of metal burns a hole through your jacket and brands your back like a steer at the Bar-W ranch.

Back
Top Bottom