• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

M1 carbine help

freedom

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
97   0
Reaction score
I can't get an extractor back in the bolt. Finally got a correct replacement and I'm stuck.

Anybody have a tip, a tool, a video that will help?

It has been a while, But I used a cartridge case to compress the ejector while lining things up, IIRC

It only takes 3 hands to do it. :thumb:

If you are going to do that more than once you probably should invest in a bolt disassembly tool. It holds down the plunger that spring loads the extractor and makes it easy to remove (and install).

I had a third hand holding the ejector. I couldn't get the extractor detent? Pushed far enough down to slide it all the way through.

I have to admit that it's been a while since I had an M1 bolt apart, and much longer since I had to do it without the tool. I do know it is possible, though...if memory serves it's almost a timing issue between removing the blade holding the plunger down and inserting the extractor. Use the thinnest blade you can find that's ridged enough to depress the plunger without flexing. Just gotta be more ornery and stubborn than the plunger. Wish I could help more.

If you're ever over near me bring it with you and hit me up before hand. I've got the tool and will make semi quick work of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you're ever over near me bring it with you and hit me up before hand. I've got the tool and will make semi quick work of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My mom lives in Newnan, I may do that but hope I don't have to.

Tried again today with my son being a third hand for the ejector, and to hold a gallon ziplock bag over the bolt after we spent 30 minutes looking for the little spring and plunger.

I told my kid about your tool. He said, why don't you do that? I said I like fixing stuff myself, and he's 1 1/2 hours away. He said we've been trying for an hour now and it's not together yet. I told him to shut up.

Back
Top Bottom