• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Standard Products - M1 Carbine Question - Need the M1 Carbine Experts

Raging Bull

Default rank <200 posts Lifetime Supporter
Tracker
24   0
Reaction score
I Have a Standard Products M1 Carbine with Serial Number 12506XX. It is in very good shape with only light pitting on the side of the receiver under the stock. Yes the serial number and manufacturer are correct. I know Standard Products serial numbers run from 1,982,520 to 2,352,519. It seems that this M1 Carbine and 299 others, were in a shipment of M1 Garand's that Federal Ordnance Inc (So. El Monte, CA: USA) received from the Philippines in the mid 1980's by accident. Federal Ordnance Inc, sold most all of them to Sarco Inc to be sold to consumers to build their own M1 Carbine from scratch. It is Import marked with Federal Ordnance Inc's name under the stock on the side of the receiver. (http://www.m1carbinesinc.com/carbine_fedord.html)

1. I assume the serial number was removed and stamped with a new one from Federal Ordnance or Sarco Inc. Has anyone heard of this happening?

2. There were only 300 of these ever done this way. Does that make it less valuable or more valuable. I cannot locate any ever sold online and since there were only 300 that is understandable.

3. All my other M1 Carbines do not have import markings. Does having an import marking make it less valuable?

4. What else am I not asking, need some of you M1 Carbine experts to educate me.

I am trying to decide on keeping it or getting rid of it so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks dj

Here are some of the parts.
Receiver - Standard Products
Trigger housing - SG Saginaw
Hammer - IK - Rock-ola
Barrell - Underwood No Date
Barrell Band - AI - Inland
Front Sights - N - Inland
Sear - SP
Rear Sight - JAO - Inland
Bolt - Maybe an IO - Inland, hard to read

1: Pictures would help to know if it was ground and re-marked. Its not required to remove the serial number and re-serialize for import.

2: Since it was imported as a stripped receiver and built by someone (not the military) you know its a parts kit gun. So thats not great for the value aspect.

3: Yes import marks hurt value to collectors. If the import mark is on the receiver, that is the worst place for it to be. But there are plenty of entry level collectors that would still jump at the chance to own it.

4: If you dont have another Standard Products, keep it and enjoy it. Or maybe thats the designated shooter of your collection. Or if it offends you to look at it, sell it to someone who is just getting into USGI Carbines that will enjoy it.

Hope my 2 cents help.

1: Pictures would help to know if it was ground and re-marked. Its not required to remove the serial number and re-serialize for import.

2: Since it was imported as a stripped receiver and built by someone (not the military) you know its a parts kit gun. So thats not great for the value aspect.

3: Yes import marks hurt value to collectors. If the import mark is on the receiver, that is the worst place for it to be. But there are plenty of entry level collectors that would still jump at the chance to own it.

4: If you dont have another Standard Products, keep it and enjoy it. Or maybe thats the designated shooter of your collection. Or if it offends you to look at it, sell it to someone who is just getting into USGI Carbines that will enjoy it.

Hope my 2 cents help.
Thanks for the info, I may just keep it for a good shooter.

Back
Top Bottom