• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

M1 Garand Ammo and Gas Systems.

Worse case you bend an op rod.....well come to think of it that's $200-$300 for a replacement. (Obviously sarcasm to make a point).

Buy surplus 30 caliber as stated above , buy it cheap and stack it deep you will never regret having "too much ammo"

Adj gas plug has good reviews.

The Garand is a different beast than the AR though. If you run an AR 'hot' you get overgassing and a shorter dwell time. Nothing fatal although not great.

With the Garand you can literally destroy the action with the wrong ammo. Bending the op-rod is just the beginning of the damage you will cause with ammo that has the wrong pressure curve in an M1.

Do yourself a favor, get the Garand Gear plug. With that in place you will never destroy an M1.

Also, it's not an 'adjustable' plug. Unlike those there's no set screws to mess with (or to back out and fail). It simply has more volume, so the pressure curve is smoothed out.

I have an M1 Garand that has been converted to .308 (7.62 x 51). Any concerns about firing commercial ammo thru it?

The Garand is a different beast than the AR though. If you run an AR 'hot' you get overgassing and a shorter dwell time. Nothing fatal although not great.

With the Garand you can literally destroy the action with the wrong ammo. Bending the op-rod is just the beginning of the damage you will cause with ammo that has the wrong pressure curve in an M1.

Do yourself a favor, get the Garand Gear plug. With that in place you will never destroy an M1.

Also, it's not an 'adjustable' plug. Unlike those there's no set screws to mess with (or to back out and fail). It simply has more volume, so the pressure curve is smoothed out.
I hear ya. I have been buying m2 ball so I have not purchased a gas plug yet. How do you install those? Or really what tools will work? .25" socket?

Best place to find info on gas plugs is over at Garand Gear. They sell the best of them, with no meter screw required. It just screws in like the factory one, but provides a larger volume to smooth out the pressure curve.

I've used this with all kinds of ammo and haven't had an issue at with any of them. Also, it's been on the market for years, and has always gotten great reviews.

http://www.garandgear.com/ported-gas-plug.html

Back
Top Bottom