Machete sharpening?

If you have a Dremel tool then go and pick up the mower\axe sharpening attachment. Works great on mine and has a guide to show you how to grind 'er.

I use one almost every day for work and a hand file is what we use. Takes awhile to get it right from new but after that you good.

Reactions: BHJ
The Blade Smith at 3731 Northcrest Road sharpens for walk ins while you wait on most Mondays. But only on Mondays. He sharpened a machete and an axe for me and I remember the price being very reasonable. His main business is sharpening kitchen/butcher knives for the restaurant industry. When i walked in he stopped what he was working on, took care of me, I gave him a little cash -I don't remember exactly how much - and i was on my way. Very pleased with the work he did.

I suppose that with three boys and woods nearby my parents afforded us children more latitude than what was normal.

I use a file on mine also. I don't worry about it being knife sharp, just sharp enough to cut with. They take a lot of abuse if you use them so you get a lot of practice with a file.

If you get bored and play with it you can get most any machete hair popping sharp. That edge will last through one swing but it's nice to know it can be done. I sharpen mine on a belt grinder then remove the burr with a buffer. Fastest way I know to do it but I also don't take any time or caution to keep the "grind" even or pretty. I use slack belt to convex but flat would be fine too.

I touch up with a commercial kitchen knife steel which I'm growing more and more fond of. I use them often now.

Anyone near Roswell that sharpens machetes or know where I can go to get one sharpened. The new one I just got only has a rough ground edge from the factory and I can barely put a good edge on a pocket knife.

Just picked up my Estwing camp axe from Mark at "Red's Blades & Sharpening". It came with a slightly less than perfect edge that was just too much for my stones to clean up. It has a perfect splitting edge now. He's normally at the Sandy Springs Farm Market, but does house calls. His number is 678-628-8771

Back
Top Bottom