MAG tactical AR lower

Laxguy59

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
64   0
Reaction score
http://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...3-116511.aspx?sku=100011668&avad=avant&ch=aff
p_100011513_2.jpg

So people seem to have embraced the polymer lowers and they seem to work alright, but now we have these mystery alloy lowers. They are lighter than aluminum, but without knowing more should we assume they are "pot metal". Even if it is pot metal will these ever become popular cheap alternatives to aluminum like the ploymers now are?

Some areas are reinforced for strength:
Reinforced trigger and hammer pin axis points
Reinforced front pivot pin

Last edited:
Aluminum lowers can normally be had below 100 dollars. How much cheaper do you need to be? Being that we are a country of people who care more about the price of an item rather than the quality of an item, I'm sure they will sell great. I'll stick with drop forged aluminum though.

Usually when you have to "reinforce" something that means its weak. Id pass. If you cant handle the weight of an AR then it might be time to hit the gym. Dont ever buy a yugo underfolder :lol:

I think the major reason for the lighter is just because of the material used, not really the goal. It's probably cheap as hell to make these. Post hysteria I think they'll be cheaper than the aluminum.

- - - Updated - - -

Aluminum lowers can normally be had below 100 dollars. How much cheaper do you need to be? Being that we are a country of people who care more about the price of an item rather than the quality of an item, I'm sure they will sell great. I'll stick with drop forged aluminum though.

Not to mention these can't be anodized, I think they are mostly cera-coated. but for someone wanting an AR on the cheap, this may be better than plastic, but cheaper than aluminum. I don'tplan on using one, just wondering if they could be better than the plastic, or if a mystery alloy could actually be worse. At least they won't have UV fatigue like the polymer.

I think the major reason for the lighter is just because of the material used, not really the goal. It's probably cheap as hell to make these. Post hysteria I think they'll be cheaper than the aluminum.

- - - Updated - - -

Not to mention these can't be anodized, I think they are mostly cera-coated. but for someone wanting an AR on the cheap, this may be better than plastic, but cheaper than aluminum. I don'tplan on using one, just wondering if they could be better than the plastic, or if a mystery alloy could actually be worse. At least they won't have UV fatigue like the polymer.

yep and being cheap comes with a price. Many alloys are known for cracking. Most of the time they put 1-2 % titanium in the mix or some other metal to make it stronger. I doubt they did that here. Even now lowers can be had for under 150 bucks. Just dont see the point of cheaping on such a major part of the firearm.

Back
Top Bottom