• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Making New Grips for a H. Schmidt SA 22

Place some masking tape across the old grip and make a mark every 1/4" starting at the butt of the grip, not at the top of the arch.
Number each line for reference and then measure the thickness of the grip at each mark.

IMG_0699.jpgIMG_0705.jpg

Math time again. Add .100" to each measurement and the subtract that number from the thichness of the new grip and record these measurments for the depth of cut.

IMG_0707.jpgIMG_0709.jpg

Make sure the bottom of the grip is flush with the butt of the frame and then rotate 180 degrees to make two parallel sides.
I used to do this with a table saw and a 1/4" dado blade and just keep raising the blade height for depth of cut and move the fence 1/4' for each pass.
It's a lot quicker using the mill since depth of cut is already labled in 1/1000". I used a 3/8" cove router bit in the mill and made my cross cuts at depth for each referance line.

IMG_0703.jpgIMG_0693.jpg

Next use a drum sander to smooth out the profile and remove the stairsteps that were left from the milling.

Sorry forgot to get photos of the next steps.

Put a grip half on the frame and use a scroll saw to trim off excess close to frame, not flush. Use the
drum sander to get closer to the frame. To get the angle on the butt of the grip I put the back of the grip against the fence of a chop saw and set the saw blade flush with the bottom of the grip Then I took a 2x4 and placed it perpendicular to the fence and made a wedge.

Then clamp the wedge to the table of a disc or belt sander and place the grip back on the wedge and slowly feed it into the sander to cut the angle. I sand the angle instead of cutting it with the chop saw so the edge is clean and smooth. If you use a saw you might get splintering or tearout on the backside of the cut and there's been to much work put into the grips to ruin them now.

IMG_0695.jpgIMG_0711.jpg

This is what they look like now.

IMG_0713.jpg

Next is rasp and file work to get close to final shape.

Last edited:
First establish a profile by puting the old grip butt to butt with new grip and trace the profile on the bottom of the new grip.

This is after I used a 1" belt sander to get most of the extra wood off and establish a general shape

IMG_0715.jpgIMG_0717.jpg

Grab some files and sand paper and go to work. Remember that .100" we added to the thickness of the old grip when we cut the profile?
That was so we would have a little forgiveness while shaping if you cut a little deep during the rough shaping.
With some sweat, cussin' :frusty: and luck you will end up with two halves that have the same profile.

IMG_0719.jpg

The last thing to do is put your favorite finish on and the go try out those new grips.
These grips will get a satin oil finish. I'll post pics when I get them finished.

I did this post because this type of revolver is so common and made by so many different manufacturers, but grips are getting hard to find for these old single action 22's.

I want to thank loadnplenty once again for the nice piece of dark walnut for this project.

I had a few requests for the finished grips and the problem was that the customer picked them up before I got any photo's. Well today I had him bring the gun back to visit while he picked up another shotgun I was restoring for him and took these real quick before it disappeared again. Enjoy
IMG_0865[1].jpgIMG_0866[1].jpg

Back
Top Bottom