• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Marlin 1895 22 inch 45-70 JM stamped Mods

Alaskan

Default rank <3500 posts
ODT Junkie!
95   0
Reaction score
Wanted Ideas and thoughts modding on a Marlin 1895 22 inch 45-70 JM stamped I picked up a few weeks ago. It is in relatively good shape with only a few nicks in the bluing, stock and has the buck-horn sights. 1999 Production. Keep your ideas to $1000 or less please. Will be an all a hunting rifle. Maybe next trip to Jurassic Park

Here are mine:
~ XS Front and Rear Sight/scout rail
~ WWG Trigger and Springs
~ Replace follower
~ Smooth out action
~ Switch to large loop
~ Nice scope and Rings
~ Probably Grey/Silver finish Like a SBL
~ Dark Wood Finish or new Stock.

This.

0E62D220-941A-4EF1-A3C5-FEB85A4A2191.png

I would put different iron sights on it. Ranger precision has a really interesting looking "cloverleaf" peep sight and a triangle fiber optic front sight to go with.

the XS sights are fine if you want it to look like an SBL but Skinner sights are where its at! a little brass or white bead is more accurate to me than the white stripe of the XS sights.

Nice Marlin. I realize that I am old school when it comes to Marlins, but hey, I am what I am. Here is what you suggested and my thoughts.

"Here are mine:
~ XS Front and Rear Sight/scout rail
~ WWG Trigger and Springs
~ Replace follower
~ Smooth out action
~ Switch to large loop
~ Nice scope and Rings
~ Probably Grey/Silver finish Like a SBL
~ Dark Wood Finish or new Stock."

In my opinion,
-Skinner sights would be a better set up than XS front and rear sights.
-Before replacing, trigger and springs, fully check out what you have, you may be surprised. If they need to be replace, OK
-Smoothing out the action, sure, it would not hurt, but unless you are in a competition it may or may not be necessary. Again, just my opinion.
-I like the idea of going to a large loop. If you have average or above average hands, this is a good idea. However, keep the original lever. Not everyone will like a large loop, and originality on a JM stamped Marlin, is important.
-Scope and Rings. Not a fan of a scope on a lever action, but hey, just my opinion.
-Unless the finish and the stock are completely trash, LEAVE THEM ALONE. Polish out the receiver, clean up and polish the stock. Don't refinish a JM stamped Marlin. It will affect the resale on that rifle should you decide to sell it at a later date. Just my opinion.

I would say buy a very good pad, limb saver, decelerator, whatever, but put a good pad on it. Of all the adds you could do, putting on a good pad should be at the top of the list.

Ultimately, it is your rifle and you will do what you want to make you happy with the rifle. Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom