• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Marlin lever actions

Well, they're starting to make their way back onto the market. At the moment, I think the new Ruger-manufactured Marlins are only avaliable in 45-70, but Ruger have announced new models in other calibers for first quarter 2024, which might make Henry try and be price competitive.

Back when the levers were first invented they were more expensive than a Colt revolver. They were the first assault rifle. And they've always been popular ever since. Yes there was a time @ 50yrs a go you could buy a new one for @ $70. Unfortunately that day is long gone. New S&Ws could be bought for $100 @ 60-65 yrs ago. A new Colt Python was @ $400 in the early 80s. You could buy a house for 10s of thousands instead of 100s and up now. My first new car was $4k

I collected a safe full of old Marlin levers back years ago, the newest is 1968 in 30-30 and the earliest is from the 1930s. Might be time to sell them and go on a wish list hunting trip somewhere out west.

Reminds me of a Merle Haggard song:

Are the good times really over for good.

Appears so.

2017 was the last time I saw one that was priced halfway decent.
And Winchester never really was a competitor to a Marlin in my lifetime IMHO.

Well, they're starting to make their way back onto the market. At the moment, I think the new Ruger-manufactured Marlins are only avaliable in 45-70, but Ruger have announced new models in other calibers for first quarter 2024, which might make Henry try and be price competitive.
I've seen them online and in stock in 357, 44, and 30-30 also.

Maybe 10 years or so ago my LGS owner and I were talking about these. He said he had a group of clientele that paid him $300 in the fall and sold the lever guns back to him for $100 in the spring. He said basically he rented them a gun every deer season for a couple of hundred. Bet they wish that they had kept them now,

Back
Top Bottom