• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Mauser ID Help??

sorry to find your post so late but just got on site...hope you're still around
15978 is the serial number of your rifle. many small parts will only have the last 2 numbers of the serial number stamped in them....but the Germans loved to number everything and if perfect they will all match.
3560 is the manufacture date 3rd day of may 1960.
your gun was definitely made in Suhl Germany. and is a very nice Jagerwaffen or hunting rifle. It is NOT a sporterized military rifle but does sport the Mauser bolt action receiver. nice deep relief engraving done by hand. there were many gunmakers in Suhl about that time and without seeing any other markings a specific manufacturer may be difficult to discern ( Krieghoff, Merkel, Sauer and many more). many gunmakers made guns and engraving and scopes etc. for other storefronts.
the caliber is in perfect keeping with the times as many many calibers were produced .270 very common according to what the buyer was wanting his rifle to hunt for.
I have scores of and before this vintage rifle that would compliment it perfectly. the mount needs a scope with bells and tubes of precise sizes to match the clamp mounts.
If i can help you may email or call Elliott 7066147158. bergspyder1961@yahoo.com

I apologize....looking at the other markings on your rifle i have misquoted the production date I'm afraid.
the markings on the receiver are:
3,67g GBP meaning 3,67 grains of military flake powder.
ST. m. G. meaning steel jacketed bullet.
this style of markings were used from July 23, 1893 till 1912.
obviously then the second set of bold stampings on the barrel are not the 3560 production date.
not sure of their meaning.

Back
Top Bottom