Welcome to The Outdoors Trader

Register Now
  1. Welcome to The Outdoors Trader! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here. Registered users also see less ads!

Mauser ID Help??

Thread in 'Curios & Relics' started by huntin42, Dec 16, 2017.

1. huntin42

huntin42 Tracker

14   0

Rating
    100%
    Hey,
    Posted this a while back and got some helpful feed back. Was told to take the stock off and check the bottom of the receiver. Found a few numbers under there but can't seem to find out to much - maybe I just don't know what to search for. There are also 2 stamps on the receiver - again maybe I just don't know how to search stamps. The bolt and a piece on the bottom of the receiver have the number 78 on them. The gun has the double set triggers and is chambered in 270 which from what I have been told is most likely not the original caliber. Don't care about the monetary value as I'm planning on keeping it. Pictures will be in the comments section. Thanks in advance for any information at all. Thinking about getting it refinished so any pointers to that would be appreciated also - again value is not a factor. Additional pictures will be in the comment section.

Attached Files:

2. huntin42

huntin42 Tracker

14   0

Rating
    100%
    20171216_172319.jpg 20171216_172537.jpg

Attached Files:

3. gun guy17

gun guy17 Hunter

1   0

Rating
    100%
    Impressive engraving

huntin42 likes this.
  4. logcabinman

logcabinman ODT Junkie!

218   0

Rating
    100%
    I would say a sporterized Czech or Romanian Mauser over Swedish. 6.5 Swede would probably be kept 6.5. 270 is basically a necked down 30.06 which is similar to an 8mm. I had a bolt with a crown and it came from a VZ 24 Mauser.

huntin42 likes this.
  5. triplestack3

triplestack3 Gone full semi-auto. Supporter

Supporter

45   0

Rating
    100%
  6. huntin42

huntin42 Tracker

14   0

Rating
    100%
    Thank You!! From my understanding, it can sometimes be nearly impossible to really narrow down a year/maker of many of the older mausers... Nevertheless its neat to read up about em!! Thanks again!!

triplestack3 likes this.
  7. RdKill

RdKill The Hen that laid the Golden Legos

97   0

Rating
    100%
    Oh man....a little patina is the absolute best finish one could hope for on a rifle like that. Old rifles should look old. That rifle was an engravers canvas. Refinishing it would be like slapping a fresh coat of paint on the Mona Lisa because the paint is cracking.

8. gun guy17

gun guy17 Hunter

1   0

Rating
    100%
  9. huntin42

huntin42 Tracker

14   0

Rating
    100%
    Can't say I've thought about it from that perspective lol... My dad passed away when I was 8 and it's one of the few things I have left of his and I plan on passing it along to my little boy. So I guess my thinking as far as refinishing it, is that I don't want it to get to a condition where it is "beyond repair"... I don't really have any plans of taking it out and hunting with it, but I would like to take it out an shoot it 1 day... It's been sitting in the gun safe ever since my dad passed in '97... Thanks for your input, greatly appreciate you taking the time to share!

10. huntin42

huntin42 Tracker

14   0

Rating
    100%
    These are all that I could find at the moment. Would take some, but it is still in pieces all over the table lol

Attached Files: