• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Meet "Vera"

bwsmith

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
111   0
Reaction score
I think I finally found my "Vera". I saw this one, did some research, and had to get it. I was in the market for a semi-auto 308 and found an outstanding deal on this girl with original box and paperwork. I checked the serial # and it is a 2009 production. And after firing it, I have no regrets about having to sell a couple guns and odds and ends to get it.

PTR MSG91
[Broken External Image]:

It came with an Osprey 3-18x50mm scope, but it was raised super high and the charge handle still hit the bell so I took my cheap little Osprey 4-12x44, removed the rear sight and dropped it low. Later this year I will look at getting new optics, but it ate up most of my gun money for the first half of the year at least.

Took her to the range Tuesday to sight it in and try different ammunitions. Of course all hunting rounds (6 types). After the range trip I got a deal on 240 rounds of match and a 200 round German battle pack, so those will be ready for the next range day. The recoil was like butter. Ran about 70 rounds through it and no shoulder fatigue at all. No failures or any issues. Now keep in mind that I am VERY new to shooting rifles. Only been shooting scoped rifles for about a year or two so I learn more every time I shoot. But I was getting consistent 1" groups and a few 2" groups (it was freezing and 20 mph winds, so i was not as steady as I would like). Not bad groups for a newbie. I would love for a pro to put some match down her and see what she actually does.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

The 8 pound trigger is a bit heavy. I need to find a good gunsmith that can do a trigger job and maybe something about the stiff safety. But with a trigger job and some new optics ................. woooooooo Vera. "She is my very favorite gun"

And a few details on her:
PTR MSG-91 .308/7.62x51mm NATO Semi-Automatic Delayed Roller Recoil Operated Battle Rifle with a 18" fluted barrel, black furniture, tactical handguard with a 3" rail, welded picatinny accessory rail and Harris bipod, H&K style pre-ban flash hider, a black H&K navy type polymer trigger group, a black Magpul PRS2 adjustable buttstock, Osprey Harrier 4-12x44mm scope

Nice!!

If you are going to use commercial brass cased ammo, be sure to get a broken shell extractor. They have a pretty violent extraction process, and have been known to rip brass in half.

Nice!!

If you are going to use commercial brass cased ammo, be sure to get a broken shell extractor. They have a pretty violent extraction process, and have been known to rip brass in half.
Oh yeah. It mangles the crap out of brass. But I don't reload anyway. Just check Midway or CTD for a shell extractor or is there a specific type?

http://www.triggerwork.net/

Try this guy out for trigger work, I've had a few of my HK91 and G3 clones sent to him for trigger work and the price is great as well as the end result!! Another place you should check out for HK parts is hkparts.net and for any specialized help and info on these products try out hkpro.com and check out the forums! Congrtas on your roller locked beauty, I bought a PTR-91 some time ago and love it!!!