• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Metal roof over asphalt roof?

Had a storm come through and dropped trees on my roof a few years back, had a metal roof put on and the roofer put it right over the asphalt shingles with 1x boards screwed right through the shingles. Never had cell service in the hole I live in so been using Wi-Fi since I could a booster before so can’t speak to that but it sure is quite when it rains

Thinking of getting a metal roof. Asphalt roof is ok but would prefer metal

I know it CAN be done, but should it? Any advantage?

Thanks
We had our metal roof put over our shingles about 28 years ago with a 60 year warranty, no leaks and our power bill dropped and we haven't had any problems with cell phone coverage any where in the house . best investment we made on the old homestead :thumb:

If you ever have a need to get on roof the metal is dangerous especially if your feet get wet even from dew on grass. As already mentioned it will fade especially the darker colors. If it’s not standing seam which is more expensive then after several years screws will eventually give trouble. Also you don’t usually hear the rain as much as older homes because years ago tin was generally put on strips.

If you ever have a need to get on roof the metal is dangerous especially if your feet get wet even from dew on grass. As already mentioned it will fade especially the darker colors. If it’s not standing seam which is more expensive then after several years screws will eventually give trouble. Also you don’t usually hear the rain as much as older homes because years ago tin was generally put on strips.
i have not ck. this year! but last year metal material was close to the price of
asphalt! but labor was more for the metal!

i have not ck. this year! but last year metal material was close to the price of
asphalt! but labor was more for the metal!
Installing the trim for metal roofs is an art in itself. The actual panels go down fairly quickly but the trim is where the work is. Not many speka the metal lingo as do shingles..lol

Do you like the sound when it rains? I do, but it drives some people insane. Depending on the metal and how it's treated, it changes color over time; make sure you know what color it's going to turn. When taken care of they can last a long time.
Yep, my Grandparents lived in a house built in the 1880s I think it was. It had a tin roof. I don't ever remember them doing any roof work. I could ask my uncle, he'd know

Back
Top Bottom