methods for cleaning aluminum suppressor baffles/cores

sovietak474u

Default rank 5000+ posts
My honor is loyalty
380   0
Reaction score
At the current time I clean my suppressors the old fashion way. Scrapers and elbow grease. What methods do you fine folks use for cleaning 22 and 9mm aluminum baffles? Im thinking of buying a tumbler or something like that. Just looking for input from people who have found a good, safe method.

I spread Bore Butter (used to clean blackpowder guns) on the baffles. When I go to clean, the large majority of buildup will just wipe off. For the rest I just soak in either paint thinner or the Birchwwood Casey synthetic cleaner. If I do any scrubbing, it is very light around the edges of the baffles - maybe takes 20 - 30 seconds.

Makes cleaning very easy which is why I will always choose aluminum over steel so I can enjoy the lighter weight can.

I spread Bore Butter (used to clean blackpowder guns) on the baffles. When I go to clean, the large majority of buildup will just wipe off. For the rest I just soak in either paint thinner or the Birchwwood Casey synthetic cleaner. If I do any scrubbing, it is very light around the edges of the baffles - maybe takes 20 - 30 seconds.

Makes cleaning very easy which is why I will always choose aluminum over steel so I can enjoy the lighter weight can.

I too enjoy the lightness of aluminum baffles. I really liked the sparrow but it weighed way too much. Bore butter huh. Going to buy some now and give that a shot!

I too enjoy the lightness of aluminum baffles. I really liked the sparrow but it weighed way too much. Bore butter huh. Going to buy some now and give that a shot!

It is kind of like Vaseline so easy to smear, but it is non-petroleum based. It is used to reduce the fouling in blackpowder guns, and it just works well with cans. Some guy posted about it years ago on a forum, and I have been using it ever since.

I just got my ISIS22 this week and I was wondering the same thing. A lot of solvents and "normal" methods to clean stainless will damage an aluminum can. This is my first supressor and I had NO IDEA just how dirty they got and how quickly it happens. I clean it every time I am finished using it but with the headache and cost of replacing it, I want to make sure that I don't do something to shorten its life. I keep coming to soda blasting the aluminum to remove the lead.

It is kind of like Vaseline so easy to smear, but it is non-petroleum based. It is used to reduce the fouling in blackpowder guns, and it just works well with cans. Some guy posted about it years ago on a forum, and I have been using it ever since.

Nice. Thanks for that. Academy sports (as much as I hate going there) has it in stock. Ill be dropping by to pick a tube up on my way home from work.

I just got my ISIS22 this week and I was wondering the same thing. A lot of solvents and "normal" methods to clean stainless will damage an aluminum can. This is my first supressor and I had NO IDEA just how dirty they got and how quickly it happens. I clean it every time I am finished using it but with the headache and cost of replacing it, I want to make sure that I don't do something to shorten its life. I keep coming to soda blasting the aluminum to remove the lead.
I read that method but im not trying to buy that much extra equipment to clean it.

Back
Top Bottom